Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Light leak in curtains and what to do?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankpetronio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a RB Super D and am testing it with a Polaroid 545 holder. I am getting a consistent 3/4 inch wide light flare streak from top to bottom on the middle right, perpendicular to the path of the shutter slit. The shutter seems to travel smoothly. Nor do I see any holes and it all looks OK.

It appears the 545 is seated properly and if it wasn't I think the light leak would be on the side... any other possibilities for causing a light leak in the middle of the frame? Micro pinholes in the curtain?

Where do you get this repaired? Is Fred Lustig still doing this? And what would be an average price range?

Thanks!

[ This Message was edited by: frankpetronio on 2006-03-22 13:01 ]

[ This Message was edited by: frankpetronio on 2006-03-22 13:05 ]

[ This Message was edited by: frankpetronio on 2006-03-22 13:08 ]
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank,
Which back does the camera have on it...Graflex or Graflok? Would check the felt light traps on both! I have also had streaks like that on new Polaroid film!
Lustig was still working the last time I heard! Check my Bio and Email me at bsaunders1@bak.rr.com
Have a nice day....Bert
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With lens off the camera, wind to each curtain setting and place a bright light in from the frong and examine the shutter curtain under a darkcloth or in total darkness. The shutter curtain would have to have a hole on each block or above each slit to cause the problem consistently.
Replace the lens/board, stop down to min. aperture, extend the bellows fully, trip shutter at "O" so that bellows is accessable from the back and place a bright light inside the bellows and observe in total darkness for any hint of light. Use of a flashlight such as a mini mag is recomended as 110v lamps will be hot enough to burn the bellows.
Charles

Henry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lustig is still working; he has a shutter of mine now and I spoke with him on the phone a couple of weeks ago.
frankpetronio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem solved!

It was simply a box of bad Polaroid. I tried a new box and it all went away. Now I can be mad at Polaroid, because at $68 for twenty bad Polaroids I am not happy, but the Graflex RB Super D is a great camera.

Orfeo Di Biase sold me this one and it is in great shape, outside of my stupid operating error - and he was very helpful in assisting me with the problem solving. As were you guys too. THANKS -- Frank

45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact Polaroid about that bad film.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: