Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interesting (easy!) 4x5 developing method

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems to be the method of choice for developing 4x5 film at the university I go to, apparently invented by one of the professors there (I've never seen it mentioned anywhere else).

Take an 8x10 tray, preferably one with deep grooves in the bottom, and a piece of 3/4" PVC pipe. Cut four 1/2" wide "slices" off the pipe, so you have some rings. Glue the rings standing on edge -- so that the open sides are parallel with the tray bottom -- to the bottom of the tray on its centerlines, so they're in a cross-shaped pattern, like so:

Hot glue or epoxy is recommended.

Drop a sheet of film in each rectangular space, and process in total darkness using the "tray" times. The agitation takes a bit of practice -- lift at the corners, alternating between three corners. If you lift it along the sides you might get uneven development because of the rings.

When you're done with each step of the chemistry, gently hold down the film with one hand, and pick up the tray with the other to pour it out, then pour in the next thing.

And there you have it. Four sheets at a time in a tray, with no shuffling and subsequent scratching.

[ This Message was edited by: Baker on 2006-03-13 08:10 ]
alecj

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, here's a lot better way to do this, using a processing panel. Plus, you don't sacrifice a tray and I believe the agitation is better.

http://philbard.com/panel.html
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a neat set-up, but quite a bit more elaborate to construct. A suggestion: any good hardware store will sell self-tapping 6-32 (and other sizes) screws, which should chew right through plexiglass with no problem. I don't know offhand what the proper drill size is to make a hole that you can tap 6-32, but it shouldn't be hard to figure it out if you have a reasonably complete set of twist drills. Having tapped the holes, use the nylon screws and nuts as indicated.
disemjg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using this partitioned tray arrangement for several years now and like it; someone at a local camera store told me about it. I used sections of a plastic flourescent grid panel to separate the sheets; they have about a CM grid pattern and provide for free movement of the solutions. My dividers are full length and full tray height so I do not have problems with wandering sheets.

The processing panel looks like it may be worth a try as well, although it is more elaborate to make than gluing dividers in a tray.
pv17vv

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's mottling ?
I don't see the word in my dictionnary.
alecj

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then get a better dictionaly - or use Google.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/mottling
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By all means get a dictionary, not a "dictionaly."
pv17vv

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link.
Rangemaster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photographers Formulary sells commercial trays just like this designed to do exactly what your talking about, last time I was down there, they had inserts for 4 4x5 to be used in an 11x14 tray and 4 8x10s in a 20x24 tray, I have used the same method for a number of years now, starting out when I was in High School back in the 70's

Dave

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: