Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

trying to locate one silly screw to make my crown work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cruiserparts

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi everyone,

I bought a great crown graphic package at an acution. The only problem with the camera is that it was missing one of the screws that holds down the small black track, which in turn secures the focusing bed. its a small diameter bolt about 1/2 inch long and is threaded for about 1/8 inch at the bottom part (the rest is unthreaded). It has a flatblade slot head (not phillips head).

Im excited to start shooting with the camera, but i cant till i find the screw. I've been all over town looking for it, but cant locate anything that is even close. would anyone have an old parts camera that they would sell me this screw from. I may need one of the small black shims that goes under the little "black track" too, but if i could just get the screw, I could start shooting.

can you help?

jon
Henry

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my Century Graphic 2x3 this bed rail screw is a 2-56 thread, a very common size. Any well-stocked model railroad hobby shop will have this screw in a variety of lengths and head patterns. Take one of the other ones from your camera along with you, or better still take the whole camera to the hobby shop. The screw you'll find there will be threaded for its entire length, but this should make no difference to its function in your Crown. Good luck!
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graffic part number 100B2-4K Screw-Machine, 1/4 in. lg., #2-56, flat head, slotted brass (used on guides having countersunk holes).

UH...such a RARE SCREW that the MOM and POP Hardware store down on the corner will have at least 100 of them.

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2002-02-02 22:08 ]
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just in case they don't, I have a package of 2-56 x 5/8" black nylon machine screws that should do the job for cruiserparts if he/she will send me his/her mailing address. Nylon is easily trimmed to length with a utility knife or single-edge razor blade, and the heads on these closely match the Graflex OEM part.

At the model railroad shop ask to see the Walthers parts display for all kinds of small machine screws and other handy stuff with photographic equipment hardware applications.
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't let my joking make you mad either.

Most, if not all hdw. stores, including the one I work at, in this area, have #2 sae and 3mm screws. That chain that starts with "A" is a good bet.

Charles

Henry

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a problem! In return I promise NOT to indulge in word-play with "screw" (since we can't even post "f-o-r s-a-l-e" on this site!). But what happened to cruiserparts?
Les

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's out shooting with his newly fixed Crown while the rest of us hang out here in the cyberville drugstore merely talk about it.

Les
cruiserparts

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone,

Thanks for the specs on that screw. I didn't realize it was so common. Before i posted, I tried the place with the "A" and two local used camera repair shops; no luck. All the mom and pop places have been driven out of business by the corporate hardware stores in my area, but if they were still around I'm positive that would be the place. I will try the other two big chain stores in the area this weekend.

The hobby train store was a great idea; however the closest one is 2.5 hrs away. I may be able to get one when I'm on the road.

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone by asking to buy one of the screws. I'm new to the group and i didn't realize it was walking the line, so to speak. i have slapped my wrist

Thanks for the help,

jon

Henry

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,

I'll GIVE---not sell---you a couple of the 2-56 nylon jobs. You can email me for details.
hlschmidt@fast.net

[ This Message was edited by: Henry on 2002-02-05 10:57 ]
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the coporate chains in your area are the orange H or the big L , I can't be sure about. I avoid the orange H as I don't like doging forklifts.

A hobby train shop was the only place I could find a tap for the lens mount ring on a Nikon a few years back.

Sounds like Henry's offer is a good one, and I'll watch the ASS U ME's !

Charles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: