Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Xenar/Compur X sync dirty?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aeyb701

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello to all:
I've searched the forum topics for help on this one but I still wonder if there's a way to clean the X-sync contacts on the Synchro-compur shutter attached to my Xenar 135mm lens on my Crown Graphic Special.
I tested the wire for continuity using a VOM with digital readout. I tried testing the PC post for a drop in resistance when the shutter was tripped-nothing (could be too brief to register?).
Setting the X-M switch to M gives somewhat more frequent flashes but still not 75%.
When it does fire on X I see the flash through the shutter, wide open (no leaf-tips showing) so I know the sync is timed OK.
My flash is a Sunpak 611, but i also use screw-base and bayonet-base bulbs.
Does this sound like a dirt/oxidation problem? If so I'd like to know how to tackle a cleaning myself but if it involves too much tinkering or dismantling I'll defer to a pro in Toronto.
I've been looking at buying a copy of basic camera repair by Ed Romney, which reportedly covers that topic.

Jon Archibald
Peterborough, Ontario
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compur is a trade name for shutters. Synchro-Compur is one of the many varrations. The copy of the factory repair manual that I have list the Synchro-Compur 0-MVX as the shutter used for this lens. It could be in a Synchro-Compur 0-MX as well.
This is a complex shutter. The factory service manual is written at a well trained technican level.
1).Remove the front and rear lens cells and set aside in a safe palce.
2).If shutter has a notched ring in the center turn in counterclockwise and unscrew from the shutter. If it has a cover look for a screw along the face, remove it and unscrew the cover plate.
3).Lift off the inner cover plate if equiped and the speed selector ring.
4).Mechanical assembly of the shutter should now be visable.
5).Locate the flash sync contacts directly below the flash connector.
6).Clean with electronic contact cleaner or contact burnishing tool.
7).Reassamble reverse of disassembly.
8 ).When tightning the main retaining ring tension so that speed ring just turns freely. In case of the retaing screw in the face plate, turn to the nearest screw point in the loose direction once tightned to where drag on the speed ring is encountered, check to ensure that speed ring moves freely.

Any futher repair or disassembly should be refered to a qualified service technican familuar with this type of shutter.

Do not operate the shutter with the cover off.

Charles

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2006-02-22 22:30 ]
aeyb701

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much Charles.
I'll attempt it in the next few days, after our move, and post again if I get stuck.
regards,
Jon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: