Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Large Lens Shutters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
camz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than the ubiquitous Packard shutter, are there any other viable alternatives to shutter a large lens? (No hat jokes, please) There must have been some way to shutter these lenses, and provide some reliable speed choices. Has anyone adapted a 4x5 Speed for this purpose?
Rangemaster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How large a lens you talking about, a couple of the manufactures made quite large shutters, the Ilex and Aphax made a hugh #5 shutter as well as #4's as well, and if your handy, it is not that hard to build a gravity feed shutter with the correct slits in it to approxmate accurate shutter speeds.

Dave

camz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens opening is 3.5 inches, so Ilex #5 won't do. I'm looking for a large Studio
shutter, but again, it has limited speed
choices.

So, are there any plans available for fabricating a gravity-driven, slit shutter?
Can you make one using an old plate holder
and dark slide?
Rangemaster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a thread over on apug.org not to long ago about this type of shutter, it may well be worth your time to register over there and then do a search for shutter information, as I remember it it was quite an ingienious design and had a lengthly discussion.

Dave

David A. Goldfarb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Studio shutters aren't seen too often apart from lenses, and they are often not in very good repair. They only have two settings, open and "B." I have two of them, and I can open and close it in about 1/5 sec.

Luc and other companies made a shutter that mounted on the front of the lens, held in place with three set screws, usually bulb operated. I have a large one that has three settings--open, B, and I (about 1/15 sec)--and I use it with my big portrait lenses. I had Frank Marshman add a flash sync to it, so I can use it with strobes.

Another option is to adapt a Sinar Copal shutter to your camera. You can find older ones for under $300 typically, and they have a range of speeds as well as flash sync.
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one on the apug forum is Jim Galli's darkslide shutter. Pretty simple. He uses two dakslides in a V arrangement and by varying the width of the V, he can attain several speeds by flashing the slides in front of the lens. Kind of a similar operation as a drop slit.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: