Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fixing Bellows

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R.H.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came into another Speed Graphic, but the bellows show signs of too much wear and their are obvious tiny open cracks in the corners. Is there a product (glue or tape) that I could fix this on my own or am I going to have to send it somewhere? Thanks.
R.H.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, it's a 4x5.
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Sinar F1 that had a small pin hole at every fold corner. I used Tulip brand matt black fabric paint to cover them. I picked the paint up at a local hobby shop (Michaels) and a 3/16 wide artist brush. I cut 3/4 square plant stakes down to fit the bellows length fully extended (bellows are 6 in square with a external lip at each end) and painted 3/8 wide each side of the edges and let it dry. That was 18 months ago and though I don't use it much it is still light tight. This also made the bellows stiffer, but they preform as they should.
Black Silicone rubber in a glue and seal type will work if used sparingly on a few small holes but don't know how it would preform over a long length.
The bellows will extend beyond the maximun rail extension, so you may have to formulate a jig to hold it to max. extension to repair it, and yes the repair material must be dry before removing the jig.

The rubberized coating for tools (polycoat or simular) is suppose to work best on graffics.

Charles

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2002-01-23 18:15 ]
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After inspecting both of my Pacemakers, I suggest making a gig to keep the bellows streached to max. (not enough to tear them), paint the inside with a thin coat of the black fabric paint, let set or dry, then paint the exterior with a thin coat of polycoat (or simular product), and let it cure completely. This should be a perminate repair.

Charles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: