Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5X7 Compact Graflex

View previous topic :: View next topic  
disemjg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of these on the line, and am puzzled by one thing about the camera. The lid is hinged at the back, and none of the references I have say they were made that way. All the books show pictures of cameras with the lids hinged at the front. While I have not received the camera yet, the photo of it sure looks as though it was made with the back hinged lid.

Did the factory make them both ways? This camera appears to be a late one, with the rectangular hardware on the right side of the body.
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the book A Review of Graflex looking at pictures only 60% of Graflex SLR cameras had their view hood covers hinged at the rear and 40% hinged at the front. The picture of a 3 1/4x5 1/2 is hinged at the front. Production range 1915-1925. 5x7 (1916-1925) Body sold for $90 in 1916. Shutter control plates changed to rectangular shape in 1921. It had a durability problem due to extra light baffles needed to make it compact.

bertsaunders

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear folding view hoods were introduced on F&S cameras prior to 1923, so it would not seem impractical to find them on any model that was produced thru 1925, and it would be a simple modification to make with the stationary back...maybe special order???
Have a nice day.....Bert
disemjg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have the camera and it sure looks like it was built with the rear-hinged lid. So I guess they made them both ways. The latest patent date is '17, but I'll ask Gandalf to date it and we will see if it is a late one.

Bert:

Elsewhere I believe you said that you used neatsfoot oil, even on synthetic materials. The hood on this camera needs some attention, but it looks to be some kind of synthetic over fabric. I had not seen anything but leather on Graflexes this old, so thats a bit puzzling. The hood is, as usual, stiff and a bit brittle. I wanted to check with you before giving it the neatsfoot oil treatment. If it is synthetic, I'm not sure what else to use on it except maybe the lemon pledge.
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've removed my focus hood, saturated it internally and externally with Lemon pledge and wiped the excesss off 2 hours later with a 50% to 60% inprovement in softness.(ready to crack and disintegrate to useable.)

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2005-11-22 23:26 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: