Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graflok vs spring back?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally purchased a Grafic View II. Yay!
Problem, it's got a spring back instead of a Graflok. My final thoughts were... I've never taken the back off my Speed or Crown and never have used my roll film back, the only reason I can see to remove the back. Is there any other reason? Are there any other limitations to the spring back? Will it fit a 545I or Grafmatic holder? Maybe I should have asked first? I jumped ahead and took all this for granted... Now that it's too late, I'd like to know if I'll be dissapointed or not Also, if one could be found, could the spring back be replaced with a Graflok if there are limitations?
Thanks...
Rich...
crvogt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,
The spring back works fine with the polaroid backs, you will have no problem, even the 405 will fit.
http://www.polaroid.com/products/product_list.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=352831&bmLocale=en_US&bmUID=1011698093427&PRDREG=POL
Not shure about the Grafmatic, never had one. Just get a lot of 4X5 film holders, less hastle than dealing with the septems.
The only major limitation is that the Graflex Roll holders will not fit; However Calumet made a roll holder for spring back cameras.
I had a Calumet View camera with a spring back when I was in Photo School at RIT, Never found it to limit me. "Try it You'll like it"

Carl@carlvogt.com
http://www.carlvogt.com
Les

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Th3e Grafmatic will work , but it does put a strain on the springs, so I wouldn't leave it there when storing the camera.

the only things you can't do that a Graflok owner can is get lenses so big that you have to take them apart and put the rear end of the lens back on the shutter by going thorugh the back of the camera. That and quick use of a Graflarger. As you can see you are missing much.

Now go shoot something!! :smile:

[ This Message was edited by: Les on 2002-01-22 05:00 ]
RichS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! To tell the truth, I'm a bit worried about the grafmatics anyway. Boy they're easy to jam once the springs get soft. And six negatives in one holder actually seems like a lot to me... Too much to keep track of
I had a feeling the spring back wouldn't hurt me much. They've used them for a long time after all. And I doubt I'll ever use the roll film holder? Had to have it, but have no inclination to shoot 6x6 in my 4x5! And I really don't want to go through the lens mounting from behind. Wouldn't mind having one of those lenses but too much trouble and I'd worry about breaking either the lens or the bellows...
Now if I only could go shoot something... It won't be here for a week or so... I'll have to play with the Crown in the meantime
Thanks for the responses. Really put my mind to rest...

Rich...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> View Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: