Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What was Calumet thinking?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
camz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a Calumet C2 roll holder for 4x5, and am trying to understand their engineering concepts. It doesn't want to fit under the ears of a spring back, and the raised center section is actually higher than the ribs. That means that the center section scrapes against the fresnel lens or ground glass. This is progress?
RichS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you're right!

There are at least two major versions of the holder. The "C2" and "C2N". I forget which I have, but it's got the same problem you describe with the raised center section. I never used it because of that. I've heard they used to do a mod on these to add 'slider' to the edges to keep the GG from being damaged. I've seen newer models that are made with the raised edges. I have never seen anyone sell or recommend how to put those raised edges on yourself... I didn't care enough to look into it...
camz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I put some adhesive felt on the runners of the raised center section. That allows it to be inserted without scratching the glass. But, of course, now the whole roll back is held in place from the pressure exerted by the glass panel. The ribs are superfluous. You certainly wouldn't want to insert/remove this back repeatedly, as in a real shoot.

No wonder these backs are always in such good condition when then are offered *******. No one ever used them!

Now, before anyone says it, I'll admit that you can remove the gg panel and attach the C2 using sliders. But that defeats the whole idea behind this back - that it can be used just as a standard film holder is used.

If anyone has any info on additional ribs, or a modification, please pass it on.
paulownian

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I scraped ONE fresnel lens before I added the felt to mine. I added one other modification: I placed two pieces of heavy plastic - about 5mm, or so square, and 75mm long. I attached these plastic pieces so that the bail of the back would rest on them fully and left just a minimum of room for the Fresnel lens. I haven't had a problem since. Yes, this is bad design, but once I had purchased my C2, I wasn't about to let it get the better of me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: