Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

lubing a Grafmatic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
artandscience

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an early model of Grafmatic (with three screws in the side of the case) and I have it apart for cleaning and refurbishing. I have two questions:

1) Is there a good source for felt so that I can replace the felt cutoff strips with new?

2) Anyone know the modern substitutes for the lubes specified in the service manual?

To wit:

Neolube
Dow No.44 light consistency silicone grease

Thanks for any help.
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might take a look at Micro-Tools' website for light trap material:

http://www.micro-tools.com/Merchant2/restore.htm

They also have a variety of lubricants. I, too, have been vexed by the specifications in those old manuals, referring to trade names that have been forgotten for thirty years.

Silicone grease is readily available; it's used to improve thermal transfer when mounting heat sinks to electronic components, as well as for lubrication.
artandscience

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duh.. I have that grease for working on my heat sinks.

Thanks very much. At least one part of the mystery solved. Solvent on cue tip to clean the tracks, plus white thermal grease to relube..
disemjg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The light traps ("cutoff strips"; never could figure out why they called them that) can be replaced by thick felt or velvet ribbon, both available from the local fabric store. Test whatever material you use to be sure it will not shed debris into the magazine when the tray is slid back and forth over them; the right width of velvet ribbon, with the selvege intact on the edges, should be safe in this regard. You may have to glue a cardstock spacer beneath it to get a good seal.

The best replacement is the right part; I recently got a "new" one from Fred Lustig to replace a missing trap. While it works, it was clearly used, and even had a magnet from the numbering wheel imbedded in it to prove the fact.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: