Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it possible?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canuckle_Head

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is difficult but, I am looking for a vintage 37 3-Cell flashing unit (not 2773).

I am a private collector not a "dork" and am seeking an alternative to battling on Ebay with the hordes.

Much appreciated
RichS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ads (want or sail) are really not permitted here.

And I hope you understand that feeling about this kind of request are generally not appreciated here and are highly suspect...

No matter...

You really only have two choices. Go to ebay, or to http://www.mpex.com/ and buy a brand new one! The new one will be much cheaper than an old one that probably wouldn't work anyway...
Canuckle_Head

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the frustration and do apologize for the request. I know how difficult it is.

Treat me as suspect if you will, I know that I would.
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also try Cress Photo, which specializes in finding batches of old flashbulbs and other stuff. He says he has flashguns, too, and I suppose he does:

http://www.flashbulbs.com
Les

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a wink and a nod I'm going to assume that Canuckle_Head knew that a Graflex flash a la SW wouldn't be correct (they came out later, around 1940) and he is asking what BRAND flash would have been around in 1937, which is perfectly acceptable.

Jacobson, Abbey, Mendelson, and Heiland were around although I believe the it was SOL Heiland at the time. Mendelson will be the most reliable, tied with Heiland. Abbey flashes have a nice look. Jacobson flashes were nothing more than modified Everready flash lights are the hardest to find and harder still to find in good condition.

I think you'll find a copy of Morgan and Lester's "Synchroflash Photography" (1939) to be most enlightening (hey I coulda said "Illuminating" but I thought that was pushing it)

Les
(moderator)

[ This Message was edited by: Les on 2005-06-16 20:11 ]
MikeS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of buying new flash units...

I've often wondered, I've seen lots of repro Graflex flash units on ebay, and I've often wondered how well they would work as a real flash unit? Obviously some are junk, but a few I've seen look really good, and supposedly are 100% repros and they say they could work as a flash, but I wonder about that. Has anyone here ever actually used a new repro flash as a flash?

Jack5541

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,
A couple of months ago I posed this same question to Bill Cress, who I had called about a different matter. He has actually had a few of the repros on THAT auction site so I thought he would be ideal to ask since he would certainly be familiar enough with them to be able to speak with authority on their alleged functionality as working flashes.

Bill told me that out of a batch of 100 or so, about maybe 60% actually fired a bulb when the red button was pressed. He hadn't tried to fire a bulb from a shutter using the round plugs, nor had he tried tripping a solenoid with one. He hadn't ever really had an inclination to try either, for lack of the correct cords, and also for lack of anticipated consumer demand to actually use it as a working flash.

So this is kinda non-answer answer. You might get lucky with one that will do all that it's supposed to. Bill said as advertised they were designed & manufactured in China to exacting specs drawn from an actual flash provided by some prop maker. So it might be hit or miss getting one to do all it should do.

[ This Message was edited by: Jack5541 on 2005-06-18 15:49 ]
RichS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midewest does sell them for a reasonable price, and I'm sure Jim will guarantee their function. Although I never asked...
disemjg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RITZCAM has a couple of real ones; I think a two cell and a three cell. While not as expensive as some I have seen, they are still not cheap. But then again, they're real.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2005-06-16 13:35, Les wrote:
With a wink and a nod I'm going to assume that Canuckle_Head knew that a Graflex flash a la SW wouldn't be correct (they came out later, around 1940) and he is asking what BRAND flash would have been around in 1937, which is perfectly acceptable.
Jacobson, Abbey, Mendelson, and Heiland were around although I believe the it was SOL Heiland at the time.

I like the Heiland/Sol units myself, and have one on my pre-war Anny Speed 4x5.Works great.
I don't have an Abbey unit for the press cameras, but I do have a nifty Abbey for the Contax 35mm, with the synchro built into the release button.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: