Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steam,with a Graphic..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graflex Sid

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone interested in Steam Engines might like to see the pictures I took on Wednesday,May 11th.at London's famous Waterloo station.

They are done with a 2x3 1951 CROWN GRAPHIC,with a 120 back,using Ilford FP4 film.1/100th.f.11.

http://www.watercressline.co.uk

On home page,go to the right,tap on 'Your Letters'trawl down to the letter from Horace Ward,and you will see x5 pics (tap on each number)..

Waterloo was the home base for this engine,OTTERY St.MARY during the early steam days.The engine is now preserved.

Just like to add,an official came up to me and said "what a wonderful sight,haven't seen one of those in years,great looking" I thought he was talking about the engine...wrong,he was looking at my Crown gleaming like the engine.Tough competition!.

[ This Message was edited by: Graflex Sid on 2005-05-13 08:34 ]
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sid, always glad to see your photos. I love steam trains. The British engines have such a distinct style. Much different than was common in the states. Thanks for sharing.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Henry

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shots, Sid/Horace! I especially liked #2,4, and 5. British steam has such clean lines compared with the typical N. American freight "hogs". I am curious about one thing: now that a recent PM has closed your coal mines, where do the black diamonds come from that the engine is burning?
Graflex Sid

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,Folks,
Actually,never believe what you hear about the Brits in the media...we still have a few coal mines working.The coal for these engines are specially delivered around the country by road to all the preservation societies that own steam engines.

...and I can assure you it's the best coal available.Diesel oil (yes,they have preserved diesel trains) come by road as well.

The Mid-Hants line,known as the Watercress Line,(in rural Hampshire)is extremely popular with parents & children alike throughout the year.

Like most of the preservation railways,M.H. has a large repair workshop where these 'beauties'are kept in tip top condition,some even built from scratch.It's a full time job,and as you can see an excellent webmaster that keeps the general public informed of the progress of day to day running of the company.

The Brits do love steam,although it went out in the early 1960's.It's of a bygone age we shall never see again-but preservation railways keep that glow alive.

The other day,on taking those pictures,you had the sweet smell of steam that never leaves you since childhood.

....and does it bring the cameras out amonst the crowds,dare I say it,digital,but only the Graphic can bring the true feeling of steam to the forefront,in B/W.

[ This Message was edited by: Graflex Sid on 2005-05-13 13:02 ]
Henry

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear that you have a domestic source for coal. We have quite a bit of the stuff here in Pennsylvania, too.

Last summer while staying in Oxford, my wife and I caught the train down to Didcot and spent a most enjoyable day (even for her!) roaming around the Railway Centre there. The previous summer we visited the big railway museum in York, a marvelous collection and exhibits. In the shoppe I bought a coffee mug with the LNER logo. At one time there was a railroad in my neighborhood called the Lehigh & New England Railway (yes, some of our roads were "railways" but most were "railroads"), so when I use this mug I am pleasantly reminded twice over! Since you chaps invented railroads you deserve all the credit.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2005-05-13 12:59, Graflex Sid wrote:
hi,Folks,
Actually,never believe what you hear about the Brits in the media...we still have a few coal mines working.The coal for these engines are specially delivered around the country by road to all the preservation societies that own steam engines.

...and I can assure you it's the best coal available.Diesel oil (yes,they have preserved diesel trains) come by road as well.

The Mid-Hants line,known as the Watercress Line,(in rural Hampshire)is extremely popular with parents & children alike throughout the year.

Like most of the preservation railways,M.H. has a large repair workshop where these 'beauties'are kept in tip top condition,some even built from scratch.It's a full time job,and as you can see an excellent webmaster that keeps the general public informed of the progress of day to day running of the company.

The Brits do love steam,although it went out in the early 1960's.It's of a bygone age we shall never see again-but preservation railways keep that glow alive.

The other day,on taking those pictures,you had the sweet smell of steam that never leaves you since childhood.

....and does it bring the cameras out amonst the crowds,dare I say it,digital,but only the Graphic can bring the true feeling of steam to the forefront,in B/W.

[ This Message was edited by: Graflex Sid on 2005-05-13 13:02 ]
There's an affinity between Speed Graphics and steam locomotives. One can easily see a Speed as a Leica made by a locomotive manufacturer. In the US, BLH or perhaps The Altoona Works of the PRR.

Cheers,

Dan
Henry

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Dan---believe you mean "BLW" (Baldwin Locomotive Works, Eddystone, PA) if it's steam. BLH (Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton) was a consortium formed to enter the diesel-electric loco market in the waning days of steam. For various reasons, some of them involving WWII production restrictions, some of them engineering transfugalties, Baldwin diesels (as they were known) never enjoyed the success of ALCO or EMD (GM).
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2005-05-14 15:36, Henry wrote:
Hi, Dan---believe you mean "BLW" (Baldwin Locomotive Works, Eddystone, PA) if it's steam. BLH (Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton) was a consortium formed to enter the diesel-electric loco market in the waning days of steam. For various reasons, some of them involving WWII production restrictions, some of them engineering transfugalties, Baldwin diesels (as they were known) never enjoyed the success of ALCO or EMD (GM).
Thanks for the correction, Henry, I'll try not to sin that way again.

Did GE eat ALCO?

Cheers,

Dan
Graflex Sid

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my minds eye,I've always thought of the Graphic and the 1937 Santa Fe 'Super Chief',the Train of the Stars,as being compatible,sleek lines,luxurious,and "decorated with unique wood paneling & trim"..and where have I heard that before...could be the train & Graphic combined.

We still have the Orient Express of course running here on trips through Europe & Britain,either pulled by steam or diesel.

Sheer luxury if you have the money & time.It's still a great sight seeing the train pass through your local railway station.It is like time had stood still.A shiver goes down your spine when it rumbles through.

Up until a year or so ago,it was pulled by the World famous Flying Scotsman engine.

Pure nostalgia...Ah,we are back to the Graphic again,bless,em!
Henry

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, GE was ALCO's (American Locomotive Co., Schenectady, NY)) hometown supplier of electrical components for their diesel-electrics. When GE decided to enter the road locomotive market big-time (they had been producing small industrial locos for years), they didn't need ALCO's plant as GE already had production facilities in Erie, PA. It took a while to shake out the marketplace, but what emerged was essentially the two US diesel loco builders of today, GE and EMD division of GM. Early GE road locos reflect ALCO designs, and some ALCO diesels are still in service and have many fans (railfans, that is).

Lame attempt to keep this on topic: I never shot RR pix with my Century, only some trolley shots in Phila.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: