Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Large format and Speed Graphic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ethanmlong

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all! After shooting with 35mm cameras most of my life, I upgraded to medium format about two years ago. With increasing curiosity of large format photography, I took the plunge and purchased a speed graphic today with a nice array of accessories. Many of you (unknowningly) contributed to my decision on which equipment to look for with your contributions to this forum, so thanks and I look forward to taking my equipment out for a test run soon~
Jack5541

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2005-05-12 12:55, ethanmlong wrote:
Hello all! After shooting with 35mm cameras most of my life, I upgraded to medium format about two years ago. With increasing curiosity of large format photography, I took the plunge and purchased a speed graphic today with a nice array of accessories. Many of you (unknowningly) contributed to my decision on which equipment to look for with your contributions to this forum, so thanks and I look forward to taking my equipment out for a test run soon~

Hi there...and congratulations on your "new" purchase. As I read your post I couldn't help but think of my own road towards getting my first Graphic, and how much it was like your route here. As you alluded to, there is alot of information to digest on this site and these message boards. I've come to find Graphics very addicting. Some people use them as a spring board toward different Large Format systems. At this point in time I own four Graphics and am looking at another, and don't think I'll move beyond them. A Graphic View may be down the line, but for now I'm using what I have and am having loads of fun doing so!!! There's so much to learn and a long and proud tradition of using these beasts that hopefully will live long and prosper. There's also lots of history that I've come to appreciate here.

Welcome Aboard!!!
Les

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addicting?! Graphics aren't addicting! I can stop any tme I want to....

Les

(there are 14 more cameras on these shelves that you can't see!

[ This Message was edited by: Les on 2005-05-12 18:36 ]
RichS

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to see the camera that goes with that flash!!!

Nice collection!
Les

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes.
The little known,
Limited Edition,
Designer Series...

This one is the Barbie Graphic.
Probably sold through the The Franklin Mint

[ This Message was edited by: Les on 2005-05-12 20:16 ]
RichS

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!!!!

Now there's the camera to take IR pics in the local disco club!

Thanks, I think... I'm still rubbing my eyes...

45PSS

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2005-12-24 21:37 ]
ethanmlong

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2005-05-12 20:47, 45PSS wrote:
How many of them are in working condition?

I have some cameras that work only as bookends. but they work perfectly! =)
Les

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a rough guess I'd say 80%. Some of them have working bodies, but no lenses. Others, like a Top Handle 3x4s have bad springs to hold the film.

Les
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les, you're right. They're definitely not adictive. I can attest to that, a I've quit "accumulating" at a dozen or so. All of them are working and ready to go. Wish I could say the same for myself.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
DonH

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I thought I was bad!!! I only have 9, 3 4X5 Speeds, a 3X4 Crown, 3 2X3 Speeds, a 4X5 Tele, and a 3X4 B. Maybe I can still quit!
Don
troublemaker

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not even want to know the history behind the "Barbie Graphic". But it sure looks as though it had a run in with the Merry Pranksters, or at least hitched a ride for a spell on the bus...further...

As one may observe from this posting series, large format photogrpahy, or an interest in it, where Graphic press cameras are concerned, can be an end in itself. Perhaps a wee bit beyond...
At the sign post up ahead, the next stop, the twilight board...
Les

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIke with most things on ebay, its history is lost under a cloak of "personal information".

The best I could get out of the seller was it was used for the cover of a magazine in the 80s. Originally it had a painted sync cord and a red gel in the flash reflector.

I've been tempted to restore half of it just to show people how durablle the finish is, but I'm realizing that restoring half the camera will take 5 times longer!

Les
ethanmlong

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without the benefit of a manual, I'd say it took me a good 90 minutes to figure out what most of the features did (most of that time spent trying to get the front opened up and the back off). My first shots from the camera were on a roll of 120 (using the 120 back) - that's where I have the most familiarity, then trying two 4x5's. The remainder of the week? Playing with some polaroids... a really neat feature but I'll likely not purchase another box of it. Eh, the function of the rails in the front threw me for a bit, too.

So I finally used it in an "official" shoot yesterday and took 6 shots; developed the sheets last night. It took a LOT longer to compose each one than with my medium format equipment. Focusing was a real bear, even with a flashlight trained on the model to enhance the light. It seems most effective to focus through the back, and I'm not quite sure yet how to use the focusing thing mounted on the side (the one that adjusts parallax?). Definitely need to research that some more. When I use it to focus, the intended image is blurry with some things a bit closer in focus. Probably needs to be adjusted/calibrated...

I have not yet had a chance to scan the negatives from the shoot yesterday, but am quite impressed with the results looking at them!

Quote:

On 2005-05-12 15:42, Jack5541 wrote:
Hi there...and congratulations on your "new" purchase. As I read your post I couldn't help but think of my own road towards getting my first Graphic, and how much it was like your route here. As you alluded to, there is alot of information to digest on this site and these message boards. I've come to find Graphics very addicting. Some people use them as a spring board toward different Large Format systems. At this point in time I own four Graphics and am looking at another, and don't think I'll move beyond them. A Graphic View may be down the line, but for now I'm using what I have and am having loads of fun doing so!!! There's so much to learn and a long and proud tradition of using these beasts that hopefully will live long and prosper. There's also lots of history that I've come to appreciate here.

Welcome Aboard!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: