Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Non-Graflex roll-film holders on Cg/SG

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murray@uptowngallery.org

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read a number of complaints about film flatness with the RH-2x series rollfilm holders. Maybe only with 6x9 format, I don't remember.

I see a number of 'other brand' film holders , mostly 645, maybe some 6x7 that sometimes go for high prices, occasionally a good deal, but I've bought a number of useless things in the past - I'm trying to cut back!

Some appear to have integral winders, darkslides etc.

One thing that concerns me about hacking one of those onto an SG or Cg is buying one that has a drivre mechanism inside it's intended-use camera body. Who knows how the film counting is done on the 220 backs.

Has anyone hacked one (Mamiya, Bronica, etc?) to work with the standard Graflex back. (I think my cg has a Graflok (Fresnel & folding hood)

Thanks

Murray
Les

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mamiya RB 67 was the Japanese re-invention of the Graflex RB camera. Since electronic flash was the norm in the 70s there was no need for a focal plane shutter. The rest of the camera looks very much like a Series C or D!

I can't remember the exact progression of the holders but I think it ran something like RB67, RB67pro RB67proSD.

The farther along on the progression the more bells and whistles there are on the back that you can't use (exposure lock when the dark slide is in, auto advance from the shutter, etc)
I have two of the older RB backs and they work very well. When you look at them you'll see they're an improved version of the RH backs!
They SHOULD fit ALL 2x3 Graflok backs, but the reality is sometimes the tolerances are just a bit too tight, so I suggest you take your camera to the show when you go shopping.

The SD series uses a completely different mount, as does Bronica so you'll be shelling out big $$ to the machinist to get them to fit.

Actually I've heard more problems with film spacing with the RH backs that flatness. The flatness problem is with the Grafphic 22 and Graphic23 backs. But a botched shot is still a botched shot, be it soft of overlapping.

Les
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: