Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leather for RB cases...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vic valis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...this one's probably for Bert, though anyone with ideas can chip in. The case that came with my RB is pretty near ready to fall apart; attempting to restitch the sides, the thread is ready to pull through the dry, brittle leather. So I'm going to make a new leather case based on the original that's big enough to accomodate the camera with the lens on and space for some extra bagmags, and use the hardware from the original bag. Good thing my father was into leatherwork years ago, as I now have all the books and supplies short of actual leather I could ever need for the project. Question is: what type of leather best matches the texture of those bags? What I have looks smoother than the stuff I used for my Speed Graphic. Suggestions appreciated.

jeff

It said "good-bye."
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,
Better late than never on this late post..
Tandy Leather is probably your best bet for the leather, but it is a very expensive way to fab a new case! Oak tooling sides at 2-3 oz..average 26 sq ft at $4.19 sq/ft..thats
close to $125 after shipping costs and a bottle of black dye! The original cases were smooth leather! Think I would opt for a hardwood ply case lined with felt....
easier to fab and much sturdier!.....Bert
vic valis

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen plenty of ood smooth leather sides on ebay, but have passed on making a case for the moment... some day when I have more time. A tthe moment, everything I typically use goes into an old plastic laundry basket for transport to and from my truck. SOme day I'll get a good hardwood case... i do enough woodwork as it is already. Hey Bert: and decent instruction out there on adding a synch to the BR types of Graflexes? I know the theory behind the cheat of adding contacts that come together when the mirror pops up, and know it was offered by some companies, and want to add this to my current Graflex RB (or another if I can find one working that is in really horrible cosmetic condition so I don't feel too mad about the modification). I could probably figure out an easy way of doing it myself, but if anyone has the experience of instructions, I figure it would be you.

jeff

It said "good-bye."
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,
Years ago, I put contacts on the curtain
....set it up with parts from an old Speed, I mounted a Vivitar input plug onto the side in front of the aperture plate hardware(closer to the Vivitar flash unit) With only the plug showing, it looked rather like a Super D! It worked good until I burned the flash tube out, never replaced it, and seldom had the occasion to use >any< flash after that!
.....Bert
vic valis

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes me wonder, on Speed Graphics, if we can put contacts onto the curtain itself (and I've seen pictures of them), why we don't just put them on the widest opening on the aperature curtain... in theory it can be set to fire the flash when the aperature opening is just centered and completely open, so that we don't have to worry about partial exposures, or the flash firing when the curtain is only halfway open or already halfway closed. Does this make sense? Or are there no aperature openings big enough in the curtain for the film to be completley unobstructed by the curtain... I'm at work, no camera to look at.

jeff

It said "good-bye."
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,
Need momentary contact....and think you would have to depend to much on the flash duration plus the closure time combo...sync would be more difficult! Even the Super D setup was iffy with >bulbs<, and was not guaranteed except at 1000th slot by F&S as I recall....dwell time of modern flashes works best with the shuttered lenses that were designed to work with them! I have seen reports of fellows that have had success with various methods, but I usually
leave the electrical stuff to folks that know what the heck they are doing....it's to complicated for my puny brain....Bert
vic valis

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if I come across another graflex rb in really bad cosmetic condition that I can affort, I may just see what I can do in terms of flash synch... ain't going to fool around with my current camera... can't destroy it before I've even had a chance to put it through it's paces.

jeff

It said "good-bye."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: