Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kodak Panalure...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
daleraby

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2001 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I said Panalure... the panchromatic print paper used to make b&w prints from color negatives.

My film did not arrive on time so I am planning to cut up some Panalure single weight and put it into film holders. Development should give me a negative image which I can convert with software into a positive image.

Now... anybody have an idea what the "film" speed might be? I'm guessing about ASA 3.
Les

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2001 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah and bracket like all heck! Try shooting both side of a film holder the same, then developing one in dektol normal and the other in dektol diluted 1:6.

You're gonna want a neg that is well exposed but rather flat so that whenyou contact it again, you can get those highlights and half lights in the range. Talbot used to wax his negs for better transmittence. Would love to see the results!
daleraby

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2001 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I appreciate the advice to bracket... but I shouldn't have to worry about transmittance as I won't be needing that.

After I have processed the "film", I should be left with a negative image on film... a negative "print". My plan is then to scan this paper negative and use software... the Gnu Image Manipulation Progam (the GIMP) to reverse the gradation as well as flipping the reversed image. This will then give me a positive digital image which will then be reproduced in my webzine... for all the world... including you... to see.

That is the plan.... now whether or not things go according to plan... well, you know how that goes.
daleraby

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2001 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, shot my first two exposures... test shots of the poor long suffering female inhabitant of my household lounging on the couch. Exposure was 15 seconds at f/5.6 and f/8... ASA 3. Unfortunately, left my newly purchased processing chemistry at work... have to go get it tomorrow.

Inside the box, I found a Kodak pamphlet giving an ANSI paper speed of 400 with black & white negatives... anybody know how to convert that value to ASA film speed?

One unexpected problem... apparently some film holders do not accomodate full four by five inch sheets while others do... have to mark my film holders tomorrow before I venture into the darkness again.

Pictures tomorrow evening perhaps.

[ This Message was edited by: daleraby on 2001-12-30 20:05 ]
daleraby

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2002 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, first semi-successful Panalure paper negative image.

Quantum Technical Data:
Green Bay, WI
31 December 2001, 1830 hrs 1/30th second
Westinghouse #11 flashbulb
Distance 1 C, (about five feet)
f/5.6
Polaroid Rodenstock Ysarex 127mm
Subject: Lucas J. Raby

Image and values reversed using the GIMP, "sepia" toning also added using the GIMP.

[ This Message was edited by: daleraby on 2002-01-03 05:39 ]
daleraby

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2002 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently drastically different emulsion speed ratings between flahbulb/tungsten and daylight... else a major reciprocity departure with long exposures... I estimate that the four exposures I made today at the previously calculated ASA rating of .4 are at very least five stops overexposed. This mystifies me. Stay tuned...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: