Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Press 25 & GE #5 flashbulbs don't fit my 2773

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdlingUser

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

I acquired a beautiful Graflex Crown Graphic last year and decided to get a flashgun for it recently. The flashgun is labeled as catalog #2773, which I gather to be a later model Graflite from reading around these boards. I also got a batch of Press 25 and GE #5 flashbulbs with this, but I'm stumped! From what I read, these are the bulbs intended for use with this flashgun, however the recepticle is *much* larger than the bulbs' - maybe by 1/2" or so in diameter. I found that the recepticle is removable and it seems I could replace it, but don't know where to start. I could MacGyver a wooden replacement, but thought I'd ask first here.

Thanks,
Andrew

PS. Thank you to everyone here for all the great content about the Graflex. This is my first post only because of the extensive/comprehensive info.
alecj

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa. You're using the wrong number. The 2773 is the number of the 3-cell battery case. It sounds like you've got a 7" reflector on there [# 2747] which is used only for very large bulbs [think screw-in lightbulb size]. What you need is a 5" reflector [# 2745] which comes with a different head assembly that replaces the unit now on top of your battery case. They're a common item and you shouldn't have too much trouble finding one from anyone selling Graflex equipment.

[ This Message was edited by: alecj on 2005-02-08 13:53 ]
Jack5541

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andrew & Welcome to the best site on the world wide web!!!
It sounds from your description that you might have the incorrect reflector for bayonet-base bulbs sitting atop the 2773 battery case. Could you measure the reflector that you have?
Ordinarily a right-angle 5-inch reflector is what you need for #5 & #25 bulbs, but it sounds like you have a larger 7-inch "dish" reflector, for which there is a knurled screw on the back which can be loosened to adjust the reflector height. The 7-inch reflector is normally used with larger bulbs such as 0's, 2's & Press 40's, which have household-standard "edison" screw-in bases instead of push & turn bayonet bases like the 5's & 25's.
You can probably do an eBay search for "graflex flash" or "graflite". There are usually photos in the item descriptions and you can compare what you have to the reflector you don't have.
If it turns out that you have a 7-inch reflector, there are a couple different options. You can get a 5-inch reflector which is more appropriate (for light distribution) used with 5's & 25's. Or you can check with Bill Cress @ flashbulbs.com who sells edison base to bayonet base adapters so that you can use the smaller bulbs with the larger reflector.
Hope this helps, and don't hesitate to come back & let us know how you make out or if you have more questions.
Regards, Jack.

IdlingUser

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You both nailed it - I've got a 7" reflector. Somehow in my reading I didn't pick up that there were varying kinds of reflectors, each appropriate for a different bulb. I'll pursue the 5" reflector route first as that seems best.

Thanks for the info!
Andrew

PS. If you have a 5" reflector you'd like to sell, please PM/email me.
Captain86

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be a little too much after the fact, (I'm new to this site) but my Crown gear includes the Graflite Flash with the Edison to bayonet convertor on a 7" 2747 reflector.The convertor stands up by about 1 1/2 putting the bulb right in the middle of the reflector. Additional adjustments are now within the range of travel of the screw adjustment behind the reflector. I am not sure that a change of reflector would be absolutely necessary.....
alecj

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That setup should work for you. There might be a little loss of light [for distant subjects] due to the difference in size of the reflectors.

[ This Message was edited by: alecj on 2005-03-06 15:06 ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idle;
Check your PM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: