Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using roll film with various lenses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RamonHannah

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2001 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New to LF. Proud owner of Crown Graphic, with a Speed on the way from auction. My question revolves around using roll film holders with various lenses. I have a 135/4.7 currently, but would like to get a 90mm and something around 210 as well. How do I know what portion of what I see in the optical viewfinder will be on the negative? I have read postings about making a new mask for the viewfinder. I assume this could be done with heavy cardboard as well as metal? There must be some formula for size [aperture] of mask versus lenses focal lengths--does anyone have any ideas?

If there is no such formula can anyone suggest apertures for a 135, 90 and 210 lense? My rollfilm use would be 6X9 size negatives

Happy Holidays and many thanks.

[ This Message was edited by: RamonHannah on 2001-12-20 16:23 ]

[ This Message was edited by: RamonHannah on 2001-12-20 16:23 ]
hmartin@tns.net

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2001 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ramon
I answered a similar question a short time ago. It is about six questions below yours and called 'mask for viewer' poster Digimassa. I have placed several Graflex/Graflite manuals, etc. on my web site for anyone to use, the kicker is they are for the late model Speed and Crown with the rangefinder and viewfinder on the top of the camera. I will be happy to provide you a link if you own the late models similar to mine. Harry
P.S. Your rangefinder also has to work with different focal length lenses by using matching CAMS.

[ This Message was edited by: hmartin@tns.net on 2001-12-21 12:10 ]
RamonHannah

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2001 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much. From those postings I saw how to handle the 135 mm lenses. I was curious how to handle other lenses I might purchase. Seems like there is some sort of proportional relationship going on in your post, but not sure I completely understand.

College physics--35 yrs ago-- was not the bright spot on my grade sheet; it almost cost me admission to medical school. Perhaps that is why I am struggling here.

As an alternative, could one make a cardboard mask to put on the wire frame finder that pulls up from the lensboard area?Do I have to worry about distance from rear of lenses to plane of film in making such a mask for the framefinder???

Thanks, and Happy HOlidays to all.
hmartin@tns.net

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2001 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramon
I think you're going down the wrong road. When a Speed or Crown Graphic's rangefinder and viewfinder are properly tuned there is no sweeter camera to use! Some of my best shots were made using those finders (not the ground glass). Cardboard is out, One can buy masks for $10.00 or less on eBay, patiences is all it takes and searches for viewfinder masks in the LF section. Viewfinder Masks charts are on this web site, just do a search for it. Good Luck, Harry
RamonHannah

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2001 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your patience with those of us "impaired"...I just bought my Crown and a roll film adapter; as I enjoy and ponder this thinking things out rather than shooting rolls of 35 mm to get a few good shots, my first worry was how do I see what I get when I switch from 4X5 to roll film? Particularly if I take pictures of people? Focusing was going to be my next worry when I started changing lenses--that can wait.

I did not have any luck searching for view mask tables using the site's search engine. I did discover in "Pacemaker Crown and Speed Graphic: instruction and reference manual" a table relating lenses (in inches) versus film size versus mask number on p.43. But how do I translate mask number into actual mask aperture to make one? Have not seen masks offered on EBAY after searching daily for about 3 weeks....Again, thanks!
hmartin@tns.net

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2001 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, Graflex search engine isn't the best way to go. From the front page of Graflex.org click 'Speed Graphic FAQ'. From the 'Table of Contents' page under 'Features' click 'Viewfinders'. Under Viewfinders 'Optical tube Viewfinder' click 'various masks' and you will find the tables.
eBay has a 'Save this search' function. eBay will notify you by email when new items appear in your saved search. Search for 'mask' in 'Large Format'. When the search results page appears look under 'Or try other search functions' and click 'Save this eaarch', then just follow the instructions. eBay will notify you by email for up to three saved searches.
'23' Graphic roll film loading Instructions At web site click 'Graflex Directory of Instruction Manuals' Link. Happy Holidays, Harry
Les

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2001 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When moving from 35mm to LF one of the things that needs changing is out wetware (way of thinking)

With 35mm we change lenses on a whim in seconds. this isn't true with LF particularly when using a rangefinder. Kalarts can be adjusted for almost any lens, but only one lens. Top rangefinders have cams but even changing lenses and cams takes minutes not seconds.

Also when shooting 35mm you have to crop in the camera, use every posssible square mm of film. With 4x5 that is so. There is no sin in cropping a 4x5 down to 3x4 particulary when you are on a cliff in Yosemite and that slightly longer lens is a half hour hike.

remember that most Newspaper photographers made their living with JUST ONE LENS!
RamonHannah

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2001 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to you both. Will try buying masks rather than making them. I am quite guilty of the sins you point out in not thinking properly about the move to Graflex/LF photography; perhaps "when in doubt, just step back a few feet and crop the negative" is a better approach....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: