Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

removing a bellows...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vic valis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2001 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bellows of my pre-anniversary speed graphic is patched up and reasonably light-tight (I throw a piece of black fabric over it when shooting for insurance) but looks like hell and it won't last. It has been replaced at some point in the past. It appears to be nailed and/or glued into the body of the camera. I guess my question is, is there a reasonably easy method for removing a bellows other than just ripping the bugger out by the roots? I cannot date the camera any more specifically than being pre-anniversary owing to the fact that all the accessories were missing or replaced when I bought it. When I look into the open front of the camera at the area around the bellows, I see a few screws keeping the two plates above and below the base of the bellows in place. If I remove these screws, would I make it easier to remove the bellows, or would I cause all sorts of internal srings and workings to go flying out?

Vic

It said "good-bye."
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2001 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vic--You have the hardest bellows to replace! But, remove the front first-
inside you will find some wood screws, usually hidden under the first folds.
With a smallscrewdriver pry the tacks out of the back of the bellows, and save them in a jar--lots of them to remove--once the bellows is loose, check to see if it is savable--sometimes the outer cover is savable--sometimes the inner lining--if you care to try to save it--it can be done!!! Nothing will fly (except maybe the temper on occassion!! Be sure to save all the screws and the tacks Bert
vic valis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2001 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course mine is the hardest to replace: I enjoy a challange. I have seen the screws on the inside front standard and have been contemplating removing them just to see how th front was connected... I will do that for sure soon. I'm contemplating saving the bellows, although I do have an Anniversary model's bellows at my disposal if I can adapt it to the older camera. I take it the bellows is held in place near the focal plane shutter strictly by the tacks and glue, and that those two screwed-in pieces attached to the inside base of the camera above and below the bellows cover the shutter curtain only. Is this correct? Or would removing them make it easier to get to the bellows?

jeff

It said "good-bye."
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2001 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff, I have found MOTSENBLOCKER'S LIFT OFF #2 to be excellent for desolving varrious types of adhesives. I used it to remove dried and cracked labels from the case of a Graffic view, did not damage or alter the case finish. Also loosened the bellows to wood back of my Burke & James field to the point that they seperated without tearing or cracking the wood. IT WILL loosen the glue that holds the leather covering on the camera. It's available in the paint dept. of Orchard Supply Hardware/Sears Hardware, if you need it.
Charles

bertsaunders

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2001 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff--Remove those front screws--no problems! And no glue either--front or back--unless someone has messed with it before! The difficult part is all those tacks! And as for the substitute bellows, it may work fine! Assuming you mean the curtain "containment covers" behind the rollers of the curtain--they simply keep stray light from entering the backside of the camera, around the curtain itself! No need to dismantle them, I usually just open the curtain to the open "time slot"--and work the tacks out of the bellows! Removing the containment covers will only complicate things, as the curtain would have to be reinstalled--which is another problem! but if you want to explore--I do have the instructions for that proccedure also!! Bert
vic valis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2001 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Take the path of least resistance" is my motto, so I will leave those covers in place. If you want to email me what you have, feel free, i can use all the knowlege I can get, but beware: the last few times you tried to email me, we discoverd that my email service is case sensitive and the rendered the reply option on your end useless. If you need me to resend my email address, let me know. In the meanwhile I have no immediate plans to do major work on the camera right away, since it DOES work and I will be using it in the next few weeks.

vic

It said "good-bye."
jdman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to attach an Anniversary bellows to a PaceMaker Front Standard. Or can a Pacemaker bellows be installed in an Anniversary 4x5. Russ
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Vic---re-send your e-mail, lets try again!

To jdman---It's been a while since I have had a Ann apart, but as I recall it is (like the pre ann) attached differently than the Pace is! The pace has a front and rear frame--rear frame is attached with bend-over tabs to the interior baffle! Pre-ann is tacked--ann, will check to see if I can determine, through body/ser no's on some old bodies!
Bert
jdman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the operation was a success. I used the bottom half of the Pacemaker Front Standard and the top half of the original Anniversary. Added a Graflok back, and Full Sync Rodenstock lens. So I now have Rise, Tilt, and a piece of equipment that will drive the Correct Police Crazy. Plus I ended up with a spare Pacemaker bellows. Russ
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdman---Checked my records---if the ser no and the callout are correct,---the bellows on the Ann was tacked in the same as the pre-ann--only recorded 1 camera as an Ann model, so have only the records to go on!
Bert
jdman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did not have to change bellows, In fact as I learned later did not even have to remove those 8 screws that holds the front of the bellows to the standard, just use the top half of the anniversary, and the bottom half of the pacemaker standard. Thanks for your help. Russ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: