Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

450mmtessar for super d?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cudave56

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking for a 450mm tessar, or similar for sports work on a super d... any ideas??? (dont laff!).. i ve tried allt he usual suspects... but the joy of this place is the UNexpected..

david burnett
TIME Magazine
(speed grafic/aero ektar)
jpmose

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

The bellows draw on a Super D is only 12" (approximately). A 450mm Tessar would require 18" of bellows for infinity. Hence, you would require a telephoto for a longer focal length. A 15" lens (Tele Optar) was available as an option. I have heard mixed reviews about the quality of this lens. A 360mm Tele-Xenar or 360mm Tele-Arton (may be too heavy for the front standard) are options, along with older telephotos by Dallmeyer, Cooke, etc.
Mediumformatphoto

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,
Congrats on those wonderful images of Olympians! I don't know about the Tessar, but the 15" (381mm) Tele-Optar is reputedly "quite sharp and contrasty," according to lens guru Richard Knoppow.

I just picked up a mint example of one of these already mounted on a Super D lensboard. The lens is a true telephoto design. According to the Super D brochure the 15" Tele-Optar has a minimum focusing distance of 110", has a healthy 202 degree image circle, and can cover 5x7. See this thread: http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=37d5d827.18261719%40nntp.ix.netcom.com

I have yet to test my Tele-Optar, but hope to this weekend.

R.J.
Mediumformatphoto

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: Successfully removed and reinstalled the lensboard on the 3x4 Super D no problem. I am going to make my own lensboard for the 15" Tele-Optar. The lens is now mounted on a seemingly mint metal lensboard 3.75" square.

Based on my measurements the Tele-Optar will use a 77mm screw-in filter. Does this sound correct?
R.J.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: