Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone Using M2 or AG1 Bulbs?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dober

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question about the different classes of bulbs available. I have started using #5 bulbs with my graflite flash unit, but was wondering if it is possible to use the Class MF bulbs like the M2 or AG1 bulbs. I can't really find any techincal data that explains the difference between Class M and MF bulbs.

Does anyone know the differences between these two classes? Has anyone tried using the M2 or AG1 bulbs in a 5-inch reflecter? Will they synch properly with a between the lens shutter with an M synch setting?

Thanks for any comments or info you can share.
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they would sync better with the "F" setting if your shutter has it. These are pretty fast bulbs. I haven't used the M2 bulbs but my M3s state that they will synch with just about anything (in so many words). Why don't you just try them? They are still readily available on eBay. They go cheap because they're just not very highly sought after. I will get back with more info on them.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Gammanine

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I remember, ag1 and m2's are x sync. I've used m2's and m3's in the 5 inch polished reflector on a 2773. I was never happy with them, and have since moved on to the M25 when I want to use a smaller bulb. I don't have experience with the AG bulbs.
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What information I have says they will work at any sync setting with a shutter speed of 1/30 or less. They will even sync with 35mm focal plane shutters at slower speeds.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A proper reflector helps a lot. While I have many adapters to use bayonet base, button base, and Ag-1s in the big Heiland flashguns, the one I use the most has it's own 3" reflector built in. Pops right into a right-angle Heiland or Graflite head. Looks kinda strange, but wotks fine with the little bulbs.
Try x-synch at about 1/50, and hold steady!
RichS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, sometimes I just don't pay attention

Do AG1'a really X-synch? It's the first I've heard of that, that I can remember now anyway...

And someone made adapters to use the tiny AG1's in the big flash holders? Never saw one of those either. But if they really existed, and they X-synch, I gotta do some looking!
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have adapters to use AG-1 bulbs in bayonet sockets. Got 'em on ebay a couple of years ago. The guy had a whole box full, so I bought 5 or 6 at something like a buck apiece, new.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have adapters to use AG-1 bulbs in bayonet sockets. Got 'em on ebay a couple of years ago. The guy had a whole box full, so I bought 5 or 6 at something like a buck apiece, new.

Same rig I have. You stack the AG-1-to- bayonet into the bayonet-to-screw adapter.
But the little adapter with the built-in reflector works better.
Press25

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that M-2's are a good choice if you are using faster films, are able to use a shutter speed of 1\30 or less, and the subject isn't moving much. Plus, you don't blind your subjects like a #5 or a M-3 as much! As the others have said, you can only go up to 1\50 (X sync)with this bulb but think 1\30 or less for full output.
I only have one bayonet to AG1 adapter. I don't think that the are that popular. I haven't tried it in any of my Graflex flashes either. If I had more I would probably use this bulb more often and save my other ring clip and bayonet bulbs for other jobs. Once my stash of ring clip bulbs goes I probably will have to go to the AG bulbs!
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thought on using the AG-1 bulbs. They were made to use in wee little reflectors, such as the one Top described (3"). If you are going to use them in a 5" reflector, you need to give a bit more exposure, say one stop.

Dober

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone, thanks for the responses! It sounds like I should maybe think about using the AG1 bulbs rather than the M2. I need faster shutter speeds than 1/30 sec., and if I understand the guide number data correctly on Bill Cress' site, it looks like the AG1 will synch at all speeds with the M synch. Let me know if this is not correct.

Thanks again!
Jim23

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M2's work great with the Graphex M-F-X shutter and provide full light output at 1/100 sec. (with the Graphex RED M-sync setting only) due to a very unique feature of the Graphex shutter. I have tested this with Poloroid film! Thus, if you have a GRAPHEX shutter and lots of M2 lamps, you have a very useful combination. Thus, only the M2 subclass of lamps will work in this fashion due to their somewhat quicker peak (13-15ms)than the true M-type lamps (#5, 25, 22, M3, AG1, etc. at 19-20 ms - which normal M-sync applies). This only applies to the GRAPHEX shutter since it has a unique dual-adjustable-delay M-sync (RED/BLACK).

According to the Morgan & Morgan 1958 'Graphic-Graflex Photography' book, page 19, chapter "Flash Syncronization and Shutters" since the Graphex shutter has TWO M-sync settings. The BLACK M-setting yields the typical M setting delay of 19 ms. The RED M-setting yields a delay of 9-10ms. Hence, according to the book, "With [Typical M2] Lamps having a delay of 13-15ms it will be seen that and exposure of 1/100 will easily catch the entire useful output of the lamp, and at the same time will permit some action stopping on the part of the shutter."

In summary, M2 lamps, with the right reflector and a Graphex shutter are a good combination. Often, M2's are found for much less cost than M3's. Note that the output is still less than an M3 or larger true M-sync lamp; however, the M2 can be used at a reasonable shutter speed.
Polaski

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cress Photo has AG1 to bayonette adapters for $12 or so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: