Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RB series D 3x4 back conversion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dukkha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently purchased a RB series D 3x4 camera from an estate sale in great condition. However, because of the age of this camera I still would like to get the thing serviced and cleaned to make sure everything is working the way it should. Could anyone recommend a place that specializes in these types of cameras?

I'm also wondering about having the back switched over to accept a polaroid back and roll film magazines. Has anyone out there done this? Is there a place out there that does this type of conversion?

Any suggestions would help me out.

Thanks
xyzphoto

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dukkha, if your Graflex RB Series D 3.25 x 4.25 is like mine, it will already accept a Graflex (not Graphic) 120 roll back the way it is. These come up on eBay fairly often. They come in a 6 x 6 mm version which gives 12 exposures per roll and a 6 x 9 mm version which gives 8 exposures per roll. Do you know that your camera, if in original condition, will accept Graflex (not Graphic)sheet film holders. Film for these holders is available from at least two sources. Some, including me, like to use this camera with original accessories. Just another choice.
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your back is the original, it will also accept the 12 shot bag mag. These show up regularly (with patience) on eBay. Most require a new bag but that's not a major problem.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Dukkha

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I think this camera does have the original back. On the left side there is a slide mechinism that holds a the back in place. Is this what is considered the Graflex style back? This camera came with a pack film magazine which does me no good since that type of film is not available anymore. I did just recently purchace a bag style magazine from ebay but didn't know it would accept roll film magazines. Are these style magazines specific to the RB 3x4 or will any graflex 3x4 roll film back work?

Finally, the reason I was considering converting this camera to accept 4x5 backs was to enable me to use a poloroid back. Any recommendations on using a poloroid back without converting the camera?

Thanks
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does sound like a "Graflex" back, rotated so it's vertical (in its horizontal position, the slide that retains the filmholders will be on top).

I never heard of a Polaroid back for 3¼x4¼ reflex (or press) cameras. Polaroid's "405" back takes 3¼x4¼ filmpacks, so it would be appropriate if it could be made to fit. It consists of a flat box holding the filmpack, and an oversized base carrying the darkslide, sized for 4x5.

I looked into modifying one to fit my 3¼x4¼ "Anniversary Speed," but the box is too wide. I'm told that the "Graflex" filmholders were wider than their "Graphic" counterparts. If the space between the rails (or if the base width of the film pack adapter you have) is 4¼ inches and a smidgen, the thing might be done.

The flat box of the Polaroid FPA is held in place by four small bolts. The first thing to investigate would be whether the existing FPA could be dismantled and the box from the Polaroid FPA mounted in its place. The question that then would need study is, would the resulting lashup position the Polaroid film in the correct plane?
xphotospazzx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm currently trying to convert a 3x4 graflex holder to accept pack film. i'm using a holder and the insides of a pack film back. I know I can do it just need the time. I'm also converting a super d and making a polaroid 110a camera to accept 3x4 film. I bought a 3x4 graflok back a while back but probably won't find any use for it while trying to match it up with th conversion that i'm doing for the graflex/polaroid back.
clnfrd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding your question about roll film backs...I believe there are GRAFLEX roll film holders that will fit your Graflex back....and GRAPHIC roll film holders that will not. Fred.
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred is correct and the GRAFLEX roll holders are a lot harder to find. Don't buy the model 1915 (I think) holder, as there is no film available in that size. Make sure the holder takes 120 film.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Dukkha

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies,

I'm still not sure what model # of graflex style roll film backs this camera will take. I see various backs ******* on e-bay and would like to pick up one that works with this camera. However, I am more interested in finding out if anyone has coverted some style of poloroid back to fit this model.

Thanks
gnatphoto

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, I am more interested in finding out if anyone has coverted some style of poloroid back to fit this model.

http://www.skgrimes.com ==they are on the east coast and they can convert your graflex to accept a modern 4x5 polaroid back. I had them convert mine several years ago and it works great. Takes about 6-8 weeks and It's about $300-400. In addition to be able to use Poloroid P/N Type 55 (that has a neg in it) you can also get a special Fuji polaroid style back that takes 4x5 sheet film that is packed in individual sleeves.(no need to load backs for sheet film)

Natalie Young
http://www.natalieyoung.com
Dukkha

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Natalie,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah it seams that all fingers are pointing in that direction. I was just hoping to convert a polaroid back instead of converting the camera itself.I have several 3x4 bag mags for this camera and know of a few places that sell film this size or I could cut it down myself. Due to the age of the camera, I wanted a polaroid back to verify that the curtain is working properly, especially in the field. Kind of a safety net. I've been messing around with an old poloroid land camera and with some tinkering I think it might fit. If not I'll convert the camera.

Thanks for the suggesting S.K. Grimes. Where would we be without these guys. Currently, I am having them do a conversion on a lens for my Linhof. What a great resource!!! Also, there is a guy who posts here alot ( Bert Saunders) who specializes in Graflex repairs and conversions. If you ever need something for you camera you may want to email him if you haven't already done so.

By the way, I really enjoyed your images. It's nice to see commercial work that doesn't resemble your typical commercial image. Finally, and this may be a stretch, but have you ever lived in Nashville? It's just that your name sounds familiar and years back I worked with an assistant from there with the same name.

thanks again

bertsaunders

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email me for details
bsaunders1@bak.rr.com
serdukoff

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dukkha,
I am in a very similar boat. I just got a “baby” Graflex 3X4 this week, my first large format SLR. I am facing a very similar set of questions – what film to begin using in my new camera. It’s basically, 4” X 5” or rollfilm backs. I definitely do not want to fiddle with the unpopular in the US European 9X12cm (3 ¼ X 4 ¼”) format, even though my camera came with a film magazine for [six?] of those-sized [septums?], in perfect shape. Unfortunately, I am new to large format and do not know much about using Polaroid backs. I understand that using the type 55 film allows one to essentially get away without using the wet darkroom ( I don’t have one at the moment) and to jump from a large negative directly to scanning it. But I am totally confused about future availability of the type 55 film, and don’t know anything about various Polaroid film formats.
My strong impression though is that fitting the bigger and more standard 4X5 “graflok”-style back on your and my little cameras makes a lot of sense. I just measured the shutter window opening at the back of the camera and it is almost 4” X 4”. This spells the size of the negatives you will be getting should you want to use 4” X 5” film. I personally like that a lot. I understand that among the 4X5 photographers it’s almost the norm to print the entire 4X5neg with the characteristic border. I am not attached to this and having an unusual square format large format camera appeals to me a lot.
Now – I myself am capable of designing and fabricating, even from scratch, a 4X5 back with the dimensions largely reduced on the outside, so that to build the back that would not protrude in an ugly fashion beyond the outside dimensions of the smaller 3X4 “baby” body. This conversion may also require shimming and lifting the camera’s ground glass just a bit. Personally, I want to go far beyond this level of retrofit and to give my 3X4 Graflex much faster lenses and full lens movements, like on a true studio monorail.
All of what I am saying would bring a lot more resonance and thought exchange with the crowd here if I had something to show. Next year starting January, I plan to do some type of conversion of the kind I am trying to bring across here and also in my “PRISM ON GRAFLEX SLR ?” post.
Regarding the suggested S.K. Grimes shop with their long lead time – I was aware of the shop too, carefully studied their capabilities, and indeed plan to visit them soon, as they seem to encourage what they call “thought cross-pollination”. My initial impression though is that the equipment I am fortunate to have access to (and, of course, knowledge how to use it and skills) are allowing me to design and implement SINAR level of refinement to my photo gear. But, I want to do photography and not to keep redesigning my gear, because this brings one nowhere. So my first impression of my “baby” graflex that immediately threw me in envisioning a totally rebuilt camera with stainless steel foil shutter curtain, instrument ball bearings instead of primitive Graflex pivots, first surface coated mirror and blah, blah, blah – all perfectly feasible – was killed on the spot. It’s probably something I would enjoy a lot doing, but I as a photographer I would accomplish nothing.
Which brings me to the last part of my exclamation. Not having too much spare time to all my projects myself, I had a few discussions with a close friend of mine, who recently completed equipping his own home machine shop. He is a very talented tool maker and the equipment he got includes computer controlled mill, a surface grinder, an instrument grade lathe and other machinery. This fellow is actively looking for a product or service to market on his own. Knowing for years about my expertise in camera gear building, he offered me partnership. So him and me are in the very beginning of thinking of what to begin designing and marketing. The enterprise is in its conception state today. My personal endeavor with my baby Graflex may be the thing we will start from together, instead of me completing the project on my own, as I usually do.
I don’t want this post to read as marketing pitch for mine and my friend’s “service”, that doesn’t yet exist. What I am posting here is trying to address those who are interested in getting the non-stock functionality out of their Graflex SLRs. Should I find myself being not alone in that territory, it may be mutually benefiting to share ideas.
Thank you all.
D. Serdukoff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: