Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using 35mm film in the 70mm back?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any body ever had this goofy idea? I figure put some tape on the 70mm spools to create a channel to hold the film in place. It would let a person create a 24mm by 67mm [or there abouts] negative. Problem would be I think about a 70mm lens would be normal. I know some MF cameras can take 35mm film.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-09-03 08:33, Nick wrote:
Any body ever had this goofy idea? I figure put some tape on the 70mm spools to create a channel to hold the film in place. It would let a person create a 24mm by 67mm [or there abouts] negative. Problem would be I think about a 70mm lens would be normal. I know some MF cameras can take 35mm film.
Not to be a complete idiot, but why not shoot with a 2.25" x 3.25" (or x 2.75" if you must shoot 70 mm film) roll holder on 120 film and crop as desired? This gives more freedom to choose after the shot has been taken.

Cheers,

Dan
Nick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a guy selling unperforated 35mm film. Of course nobody wants unperforated 35mm film. I think my Ricohs **might** be able to handle it. That got me thinking about my 70mm that often sits unused. If the 70mm back could be rigged up then it would make the gamble on the film a little easier. I usually get in trouble when I start thinking. I almost bought a 127 camera awhile back thinking I could easily roll 46mm film.
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get the film cheap enough, why not? I have run 35mm film through old 6X9 folders and I think it's kinda cool printing it with sprocket holes and all. Of course, you won't have sprocket holes but hey, it's still fun and interesting. Use a wide angle lens for a great panorama. BTW, if I find really cheap B&W film of any kind, I'll find (or make) a use for it.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Nick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's how I sort of ended up with the 70mm back. It started with me getting a bunch of cheap 70mm film. Then I needed a way to shoot it. Then I found out the reel I wanted had been discontinued just weeks before I wanted to buy it-( So I've got a bit of a clunky system for developing but I'm keeping my eyes open for a used reel or two.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-09-03 09:29, Nick wrote:
There is a guy selling unperforated 35mm film. Of course nobody wants unperforated 35mm film. I think my Ricohs **might** be able to handle it. That got me thinking about my 70mm that often sits unused. If the 70mm back could be rigged up then it would make the gamble on the film a little easier. I usually get in trouble when I start thinking. I almost bought a 127 camera awhile back thinking I could easily roll 46mm film.
Oh, dear, not another poisoned gift.

Well, if you had a 9.5 mm cine camera and a perforator and slitter you could make 9.5 film and shoot a movie ...

Cheers,

Dan
Nick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that bad-) I've even got a 116 camera. If only I could either find some lighter fluid to clean the shutter or figure out what it's being called today. I'm thinking BBQ lighter fluid isn't the right stuff-)
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lighter fluid comes as "Ronsonol" in a yellow and blue plastic container; look for it in drug stores and supermarkets near the tobacco (ugh!) products. Zippo also markets its own brand under their name, but I don't see it nearly as often as the Ronsonol.

BBQ lighter fluid is good if you want to dispose of your old cameras that take obsolete film sizes =;o)
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you can use rubber cement thinner, like "Bestine," or VM&P naphtha (benzine). I've thinned rubber cement with "Ronsonol" and filled my "Zippo" with naphtha, on occasion; they're all pretty much the same petroleum distillate.
Nick

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried the drugstore but nobody else seems to stock it anymore. Some one mentioned liability issues? I'll look for naptha.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check a good hardware store. We carry it ( Ronsonol) here in California.

Stephen Furley

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Fromm wrote:

Well, if you had a 9.5 mm cine camera and a perforator and slitter you could make 9.5 film and shoot a movie ...

Cheers,

Dan

I know this is about three years late, but there was, and may well still be, somebody in France who was doing just that, buying unperforated 35mm slide film from Fuji, perforating and slitting it, and selling it for use in 9.5mm cameras. It was available in 500 foot cans on a 9.5mm core, turned down from a standard 2 inch 16mm one, or there was somebody in England who was buying it in this form, and cutting it to sell as reloads for 'P' and 'H' type chargers, I can't remember the exact length they take, 50 foot lengths for Webo 50 foot magazines, and 50 foot and 100 foot camera spools. I bought some in about 2001, but it was certainly still available quite recently. There was also somebody here in England offering a 9.5mm E6 processing service for it.
R_J

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:

Hi Nick,

there is a 35mm adapter to convert a 70mm film back for 35mm usage. It isn't very sophisticated and it works (I have one), producing panorama 35mm, around 16 images from a 24 exposure roll of 35mm. It is useful and produces images exposed beyond the sprocket holes which is an interesting effect, particularly on runs of panoramic images.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: