Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graphic View 1 vs Graphic View 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsiladi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently I aquired a Graphic View camera. Sold my Calumet to pay for it. The camera came with the 203 Ektar, a lens board, tripod mount, and a case.. Pretty complete outfit.. It has the center axis tilt of a GV2, rather than the base tilt of a GV1, yet it isn't labled Graphic View II but just says Graphic View.. I remember reading somewhere that some folks may have had GV1s converted to GV2 and I'm wondering if this may be one of those. It came with a Spring back (which I've since replaced with a Graflok) and uses the Anniversary type lens boards, also common to my calumet.. From what I understand, both may have been made by Kodak.. Any help in identifying this camera would be appreciated.. Jeff
RichS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I've never seen a modified GVI, I would think the mods would be fairly obvious. But maybe not if you have no reference?

First off, the GVII are NOT labeled as such. So that wouldn't help...

The rail length is a good starter. The GVI has 12-13 inch rail and the GVII has a 17-18 inch rail. It's late and I forget the exact measurments, but that's in the ball park

Check the photos here on the site. The differences should be obvious. The spring back is no help either because that was common to both.

As far as the rail, that would be a good identifier. There was a thread that mentioned the difference in width of the rails between the two. Apparently the tripod mount from a GVI will not work on a GVII for that reason. If you search the forum for GVII and rail (and maybe tripod mount) it should pop up...

Most probably, if it has the long rail (and a Graflex case long enough to fit it!), it's a GVII... The GVI case was not as tall and you had to take off the tripod mount to put the camera into it (on mine anyway)...

Good luck with it!
jsiladi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.. It's a II.. 17 inch rail.. and yest it does fit in the case without removing the tripod mount. I've seen photos of these cameras labeled as Graphic View II though I can't make that distinction from the photos on this site and that's what left me somewhat confused.. As I stated in another post, it pays to verify info before stating as fact.. The components of the 1 and 2 look nothing alike aside from the inverted V rail. I also thought that the II took pacemaker boards but looking a little closer I see that it was an adapter that allowed the use of those lens boards. Might be interesting to try and find one of those. Jeff

[ This Message was edited by: jsiladi on 2004-08-23 23:49 ]
Les

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I proved, to my shock that the GVII rail is wider so a "conversion" would be difficult. Also the paint finish, while difficult to show on the web is obviously different between the two models.

So as a rule of thumb, if it has on axis tilts, It's an 90% chance its a GVII.
jsiladi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty much what I figured when I bought it.. I wouldn't have bought a GV1 (though I'm sure they are fine cameras) because I wanted the axis tilt..

So another ebay/internet myth dispelled. Honestly I don't remember where or when I saw it, but I KNOW I did read it on the net Somewhere when seeking information about graflex matters..

Until a couple weeks ago I wasn't able to post here due to my juno email address, to find out the true story ..

[ This Message was edited by: jsiladi on 2004-08-24 07:37 ]
disemjg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I just checked my GV I & II and the tripod clamps are the same and will interchange; both rails are about 42~43mm wide. The cameras are unaltered, and have 14 and 17 inch (between the black caps) rails.

I remember having heard about differences in the rail width before; it may be that some of the early GV Is do have different widths but I have not seen any but the one I have. My GV I is SN 3735XX, and I do not know if it is a late or early one.
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a "View II" for many years, and got an original "View" last year. It's a neat camera, more portable because of the shorter rail and perhaps a bit more rigid because of the base tilt arrangement. Its rail definitely is slightly wider than the rail of the "View II" -- in fact, it came mounted on what evidently is a transplanted "View II" pan-and-tilt head, and the rail is just a bit too wide to allow the clamp to close all the way down onto the seat.

This is not really serious, but it's vexing. I can fix it by filing out shallow grooves in the seat, and one of these days, I'll do it!
Nick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it make sense they used the I parts until they ran out and then newer IIs got a different design for some reason?
jsiladi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's completely reasonable.. I've seen Graphic View II cameras labeled as such. Mine however is not, which was the main reason for my confusion...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> View Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: