Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quick Release Clamps & Sunpak 611

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graflite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2001 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was curious if the Graflex Quick Release Clamps used on the Graflite flash handles (both the older bulb flash battery case and the newer Strobe 250, etc.) would fit well on the tube handle of the Sunpak 611 flashgun.

I can't locate locally a 611 to find out for sure and would greatly appreciate hearing from someone who has used the clamps with the 611.

Thanks for any information that you might have.
RichS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2001 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since noone else has answered deffinitively yet...

As far as I know, the 611 has a larger diameter. I have the 622 and it's 1 11/16. The Graphic clamps are 1 1/2. There's absolutely no way to 'stretch' the clamps around the larger handle. I have bought an extra set and intend to cut off the 'strap' part of the clamps and replace it with something like an automotive hose clamp, screwed to the sides of the Graphic clamp housing. This will allow it to fit the 622 and any other semi-round handle flash. Haven't quite done it yet due to other priorities... If someone can measure the 611, or check sunpaks web site (although I don't think the info is there), you could know for sure...

Rich...
Graflite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2001 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to RichS for the info on the diameter of the Sunpak flash handles, I had hoped to keep using the Graflex clamps & bracket system with an auto flashgun such as the 611 and use it with my 4 x 5 Crown Graphic Special.

I guess I'll stick with my Graflite Strobe 250 for now, I just ordered a 510 VDC Ni-Cad battery that will fit in the Graflite Strobe 250 battery pack, and the charger for it.

I'm still working on the hybrid strobe flash inside a #2773 flash handle using a 7 inch reflector, the only downside is having to carry a battery pack on the belt, but it sure beats flashbulbs and doesn't look too out of place attached to the Crown.

Again thank to RichS for the helpful info.
GR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've adapted the clamps to a Sunpak 544 potatoe masher flash. ( I believe the handle's diameter is the same as on a 611) It required brazing a spacer in the clamp's band and lots of intricate filing of the square prong end because the radius changed from the increased diameter. Amazing how well made those clamps were. Solid brass with some extremely durable hard as nails finish. I'll never do it again!

RichS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-16 15:38, GR wrote:
I've adapted the clamps to a Sunpak 544 potatoe masher flash. ( I believe the handle's diameter is the same as on a 611) It required brazing a spacer in the clamp's band and lots of intricate filing of the square prong end because the radius changed from the increased diameter. Amazing how well made those clamps were. Solid brass with some extremely durable hard as nails finish. I'll never do it again!

I've done almost the same thing for my 622. I was in too much of a rush to do the brazing though. So I cut a slot in each side the the clamps and used a heavy nylon wire tie through the slots and around the flash handle. Not adjustable or removable, but works just fine for now. I hope to 'fill the gap' with some brass work some day soon since I just snipped the strap in the middle to allow the filling at a later time.
I was very surprised too with their quality. The 'filing' is made a whole lot easier with a Dremel & burr bit. Too easy unfortunately as one quick slip leaves a good gouge But it does beat the hand file method. It's a shame they didn't keep the 1 1/2 inch 'standard'...
jdman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Sunpack or Vivitar 283 mounted on top of a 2773 Graflite, along with a solenoid makes for real nice setup. I took the rubber cap off an old graflex strobe and mounted a shoe to it and slid it over the top of the 2773. Also it makes a nice Handhold. Nothing is as slick as a solenoid for shutter release. Russ
Texas Ed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-12-07 16:07, Graflite wrote:
Thanks to RichS for the info on the diameter of the Sunpak flash handles, I had hoped to keep using the Graflex clamps & bracket system with an auto flashgun such as the 611 and use it with my 4 x 5 Crown Graphic Special.

I guess I'll stick with my Graflite Strobe 250 for now, I just ordered a 510 VDC Ni-Cad battery that will fit in the Graflite Strobe 250 battery pack, and the charger for it.

snip

Was that the SunPak NC510 battery? How did the NiCad work out? I've been planning on using one with a Strobonar 880 Pressmaster pack, just haven't gotten a "round tuit". Seems like it should work just fine, though the SunPak NC510 has a couple of extra contacts. Anyone know for sure what the extra contacts are for?

Thanks,

Ed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: