Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

which lens??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pup7

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2001 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am looking to buy a crown or speed graphic camera. there are several lens combos out there. i know this question is up for debate, but which lens is reguarded as the best all around lens to look for? any help would be appreciated. if you have any imput on the model of camera to get, i am interested in that too. thanks.
Les

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2001 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For pure looks that still shoot I like the chrome Anniversary (wartime models were all black)

For fuction, I like the Crown. It will handle wider lenses, is smaller, lighter.

The 127 Ektar has been haled as having the best color rendition of all the Ektars and is very sharp, but can get soft in the corners as it was designed for 3x4.

My sweetheart rig is a Crown with a 135 Symmar S from the 70s or 80s. Old enough to have a good value, new enough to benefit from the 40 years between the 127 Ektar and then.
xkw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2001 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-05-23 21:18, pup7 wrote:
i am looking to buy a crown or speed graphic camera. there are several lens combos out there. i know this question is up for debate, but which lens is reguarded as the best all around lens to look for? any help would be appreciated. if you have any imput on the model of camera to get, i am interested in that too. thanks.

A better place to start might be the shutter. Most of the photographers I knew who made their livings with these cameras weren't married to the glass as much as they were to their prefered shutter. Myself, I cannot develop a liking for the Kodaks because of the layout of the shutter speeds. The Schneiders are great glass but the Compurs are a pain when focusing on the screen for lack of a "T". Try several shutters and select a lens based on the shutter you are most comfortable with.
Les

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2001 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm not sure I agree with the statement about compurs (My Xenar, while missing a T, still has a lever that allows you to open the lens) I will whole heartedly agree with everything else.

Of the Kodak Supermatic and the Graphex and Wollensak Rapax, I'll take the latter two any time (they are the same shutter, different label) Check also whether there is an X sync for flash. Fully synchronized shutters could be put to zero delay which is an X sync. Later they gave up the gear train and made a Graphex (X) which is only x sync.

Henry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2001 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les,

Amen! I've used Synchro-Compur, Kodak Supermatic, and Graphex---Graphex wins hands down, every time!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: