Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

need some advice...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lucifer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2001 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an architect, and I do a lot of 35mm and medium format, but wish to step up to 4x5... How does the graphic view II behave for architectural photography? Depth of Field and Perspective control are my primary concerns. If it fits my needs, where can I get lenses, boards, etc.?
Les

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2001 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been an architectural photographer for 12 years, I can't recomend the GVII. Like most of the monorails of the 50s, it does not have a bag bellows capapbility and the use of lenses short than 90 with any movement is practically impossible. Even with a 90 movements are difficult because the bellows is compressed.

I use an older Calumet MX these are black, were around in the 80s can be found on ebay for about the same amount. lenses, boards and other accessories are readily available.

I bought the short rail and the bellows for it 10 years ago and with the exception of one shot have yet to change it back. The bellows can handle a 180mm at infinity or close to it as well as a 65mm.
In a real pinch I can use the 65 without a recessed board and still shoot.
lucifer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2001 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess view cameras are more suitable for architectural shots than field cameras... I'm a little confused... which to choose?
Les

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2001 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends on what you are shooting and how far you have to get back and how much movements you need.

A field camera such as a Speed Graphic would be good for exteriors when you can get a ways away-- normal to slighly wide lenses (120-135mm) can be shifted up quite a bit on a speed/crown, but shorter lenses like a 90 and smaller, fit inside the body and have limited shift. There is no tilt or swing on a Speed/crown.

Modern field cameras like the Zone VI and the like have better movements than a speed and still can be set up quickly but cost 8x to 10x as much as a used Speed.

Monorail cameras have the most movements, and some (like the MX) are inexpensive ($150-$200)
but are slower to set up, a bit more awkward to carry.

Field cameras, because they are compact ususally have smallish lensboards and will have difficulty with some of the larger lenses (fast wide angle lenses have huge front and back glasses and sometimes will not fit into the front standard on a field camera)

If you shoot interiors, tall buildings or in cramped quaters, chances are the monorail will work better.

Last bit of advice. Don't spend a lot on the camera, The camera should be light and simple. The camera doesn't make the image, the lens does. Put the money in the lens.

My prime work horse lenses are a 90 Super Angulon, a 120mm Nikon SW, a 180 Symmar S, and a 65 Super Angulon. These are 20 year old technology at least. Today's cutting edge glass would be the Schneider XL line of lenses and the super wide Grandagons. NOtice these are cutting edge, as in it will hurt a lot to pay for them. That doesn't mean you HAVE to have them to shoot!
lucifer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2001 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly I do interiors and tall buildings, but they are often next to narrow streets...
For now, I'm taking buildings with my Nikon F4s with a 24mm f2.8 lens, an then I scan the image and do perspective correction via image editing software. I've been looking at a Sinar F+, and seems to be economical (+-US$600) and with many movements available although it seems to be a little bit heavy... what do you think?
Les

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2001 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran over to the ahh,"ebay research library"
and found these models. The first is what I have a 45N
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1269698526

This is the 45NX, the difference seems to only the graduations, which I would never use.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1270886743

The case is nice, and I always wanted one but used a large Rubbermaid tote for mine. I think you'll find that this will do everything you need to do. Lensboards can be had at swap meets for $20 or so and are readily available. In a pinch, I've been known to tape two 4ply black matte boards together for a lens board. You can't do that with a Sinar.

If there's an achilles heel it's that the bellows release and the lensboard release is the same slide lock. Move it one way you get the bellows, the other, the lens.

If you've been shooting for 12 hours and its 4 am and you need to change the bellows, grab both the lens and the bellows just in case you move the slide the wrong way.

You might want to check the calumet website for more specs.

BTW now that you can see the camera you'll notice that the lens board on the front standard is positioned to the rear of the standard posts (this is to facilitate on axis tilting). The ground glass is positioned the same way--film holder to the rear of the posts.

I got caught on a job needing a 65mm SA for the shoot. I found one to rent but no recessed lens board. but without one the lens couldn't be focused on infinity--the building accross the street.

I cobbled up a matteboard board, removed the bellows and the back, turned the rear standard around so the offset faced the front standard and reassembled the bellows and the back. The offset was enough to focus the lens and I got the shot I needed.

Les
hugo13

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2001 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Les. The Cambo is a much better deal. I teach 20 to 30 students a quarter using Sinar F's, and we can barely keep them together. The levels are never accurate, the locks hardly ever lock tight and the parts and fit are not as good as cheaper cameras out there. That's why you can find a $2500 camera used for $600.

The cambo is a great camera. Check out http://www.calumetphoto.com for descriptions. There are plenty of other monorail cameras with interchangable bellows out there. I do have to plug the Linhof Technikardan 45s - the perfect 4x5 for just about everything, but they're around $2000 even used.

Brett
hartwell_a_m

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2001 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Graphic View and ViewII are great cameras I have a GV that I have used for some Archatectual Photography. The only real concern would be the focal lenth of the lens you have to use to get the Image you want, with lenses over about 101mm
the laack of a bag bellows shouldn't be a problem. The GV and GVII sell for about $500 with one lens and they are sturdier than the Calumet Cambo.

banjo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2001 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my GV for most of my work. I have a
calumet recessed lenses bord from the old
gray camera with a 90mm but a 65mm wood also work.It took some filing on the back side to make it fit my GV1. I have no need for bag bellows and have all the movnuet I need.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> View Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: