Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kalart rangefinder off center... How do I fix it?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DGeraths

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished up a complete restoration and cleaning job on a 4x5 SG. All the glass is clear and the Kalart rangefinder is bright and easy to see...

However...

The two images in the range finder are slightly off center from another, even when lined up vertically they are still off horizontally. Is there a way to ajust this so that when the image is in focus the two images mesh exactly or is this just something I have to live with?

Dana

www.ModelMayhem.com ~ MM #319869
~
Sgt. D. Geraths - US Army Photographer
165th Sig. Photo Co.
Attached - Dog Co., 2nd Ranger Bn.
NWHA - (Northwest Historical Association)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dana;
Somewhere in this site's tech data is the complete Kalart installation guide, with all the information you need to calibrate and line one up. I don't have the link right at hand, but it's in here.
Jack5541

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Dana,
Here is the link, which has sub-links to a couple different pages...
http://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/kalart-adjustment.html

It has been some time since I last adjusted mine (it has kept its accuracy very well) but as I remember it took about 2 hours the first time I did it. Not that it was difficult to do, but it was time-consuming due to having to take off the encircling and Graflite clamp flash bracket and then to get into the rangefinder housing.

As I recall the horizontal (up & down) convergence of images is what determines the focus. This is what it sounds like your problem is, correct? This is what takes the most time to adjust, requiring different adjustments for different distances (and preferrably having the camera set-up on a tripod) but you should be able to do it by following the procedures in the above link.

There is also a secondary adjustment, that being what I think is referred to as lateral coincedence, or side-to-side image convergence. This adjustment does not affect focus (like the up/down does) and it is easier to correct. I believe it is done by turning a small set-screw inside the RF housing as you are looking through the eyepiece.

All of this is discussed in the above link; as I said, what I did was to print it all out and then devote a Saturday afternoon to the whole process. Within a couple of hours everything was right on the money and I was shooting tack-sharp, hand-held Polaroids before night-fall.

Hope this helps.
--Jack
Sjixxxy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The left/rigth adjustment is done by the screw that is on the front of the rangefinder cover right below the top window. If adjusting it has no effect, then the screw probably isn't in sync with the little arm under the beamsplitter in the rangefinder that needs to move. Just take of the case and adjust the screw until it sit where it can connect with the arm and reattach it.

DGeraths

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a million guys!

Say, I do have one other question through. It seems to me that it would be easier to calibrate the whole lens/rangefinder thing by just focusing the rangefinder on the subject, then moving the lens carriage stops and checking the focus on the back glass? Making sure of course that both are in focus. I know that this would probably make the range scale on the focus rails moot, but I never use that anyway.

Am I thinking right here or am I missing something?

Thoughts?

www.ModelMayhem.com ~ MM #319869
~
Sgt. D. Geraths - US Army Photographer
165th Sig. Photo Co.
Attached - Dog Co., 2nd Ranger Bn.
NWHA - (Northwest Historical Association)
Jack5541

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it depends on how you are going to use the camera. If mounted on a tripod and used more like a field camera then you would probably would want to use the ground glass for focussing and composition. The rangefinder is not really needed in this case.

If you use it hand-held more like the press camera it was designed to be, then the rangefinder is a plus and, likely, necessary.
Focussing on the ground glass while hand-holding the camera is very awkward and not practical, especially when you add to that all the "mechanics" of metering, setting the aperture, cocking the shutter, fumbling with film holders, darkslides, flashbulbs, etc...etc...

So it depends on how you will be using it.
Another thought is if you are lucky enough to have the original lens that came with the camera, the rangefinder may already be set up already for that lens. If so, perhaps all that might be needed is to take the camera out, set it up on a tripod and correct the infinity adjustment, re-positioning the infinity stops and squaring the front standard as needed, and also possibly tweaking the eccentric screw on the inner yoke. This is mostly what I had to do on mine; I lucked out because adjusting for infinity also adjusted the shorter distances automatically.
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not shown in the instructions...but.......
Some versions of the side mounted Kalart have the lower prism mounted on a flimsy frame, and it is necessary to bend the frame (side to side) by prying it with a small screwdriver to align the images, (finger press to determine direction to bend) doesnt take much, so be carefull!
(That adjusting screw on the side under the top window is for vert adjustment only)
......Bert
Barney

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just adjusted my rangefinder last night on an Anniversary Speed I have an addition to the adjustment procedures. My speed has 6, 8, 10,15, 30, etc. to infinity for ranges not 4, etc. I adjusted the 15 and 30 as per the instructions for the 15 to 25. But for the 6 to 8 I did not use the instructions for the 4 to 8 foot adjustments. On my rangefinder there is a very small screw adjustment on the bottom mirror assembly that will correct the rangefinder movement to coincide with the focus for the ground glass. It takes very little for correction. Once I discovered this and saw what to do it was very fast and easy. Has anyone else have a rangefinder like this?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: