Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fixing a flash? Metz 45

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a cheap flash since it was newer then mine and I figured I could find a use for two. Problem is the the cable socket must be wonky. You need to push the top of the cable in for it to make connection. But only the top. I guess that means it wants to sit angled in. The cables are good. I've tested them with the other flash and they're fine. Right now I'm using rubber bands to hold everything just right. Couldn't manage it with duct tape-)

Anybody think it might be something simple like just getting some contact cleaner?
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duct tape woudn't fix it? Maybe you should call Red Green. Joking, of course. Usually, the problem you describe is caused by a slightly enlarged female connector. If you can find a way to squeeze it down a little, it will probably work fine.
If you can't do that, a thin coat of solder on the male connector may do the trick. The first thing to check, though, is the connection inside the flash. If a wire has come loose on the connecting pin/socket, it will also cause the problem.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Nick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No duct tape wasn't focussed enough-) The rubber band got the pressure to a small enough area. So you think the socket has widened? I'm not sure I can squeeze it without cracking the plastic. I might just stick with the rubber band. It makes it harder to turn it on/off but that's the only real problem. Of course changing cables takes awhile-))
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd just about bet my SS check on it. The female connector (socket) will be the first to wear out or get enlarged by rough handling. If the thing is molded in hard plastic, it may be difficult to fix without proffesional help. You know what that means ($$$$). If the rubber band works and is reliable, go for it and have some fun. I've used worse things.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
RichS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this connector a household type two blade plug? If so, and your problem is a worn female socket, then try spreading the male blades a bit. This is very common on household AC plugs. They either have to be spread or pushed together slightly in many outlets or extension cords.

If it is the two blade type and that doesn't fix it, then there's a good chance the connecting wire inside has come loose or corroded and taking apart would be the only option for a permanent fix...
Nick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No the Metz flashes use something more like a computer circuit board. It's over kill for something like a LF lenses but with a 35mm camera the flash can support features that weren't even invented when the flash was new.

Getting it fixed would cost more then I paid for it I bet-( It works fine and considering I bought it more for a backup the rubber band should be fine.

Seems to be lots of cheap flashes out there right now. Well if you avoid the goofy auction wars. Somebody paid more for a cable then I did for a flash and the same cable.
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2005-12-26 19:27 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: