Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RB Graflex mirror twisted?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
parny

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I'm going to get to take my 4x5 RB apart a little farther than I thought.

I was looking in from the back and noticed that the mirror doesn't sit flush against the triangular wooden side stops.

On the shutter release side -- where the latch is that holds the mirror down -- it's fine. But towards the side of the camera with the shutter tension hardware, the mirror twists up a good 1/4 of an inch -- which seems like more than enough to throw one side of the image out of focus!

If I push gently down on the high side, it sits down fine, or if I pull the "mirror down" lever. It appears that the mirror return spring is pulling it up on that side, but the latch doesn't hold it down.

How does the mirror sit on a "good" graflex? I ?think? it should sit flat on the triangular side stops, but maybe I'm wrong... Should I pull out the mirror assembly and twist it to see if I can get it to sit flat?

Suggestions welcome... including "that sounds normal, leave it alone (^:

-- Philip
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip,
You did not state which RB you have. The first version of the RB AUto the mirror lies flat. Check the wind wing, mirror lever to see if anything is blocking its movement. Check and see if the I(instanteous)/T(time) wheel is in one or the other position.

With the lens door open, look into the opening, one each side there may be a long verticle bar with a screw at the top and bottom. If so removing them allowa the bellows/front standard to be removed. With the bellows removed one can visually check the latch function and check the mirror frame assembly movement. Is the mirror off in both the focus and expose positions? Does light reach the film plane when the mirror is in the focus position?
(If screw holes are loose when reassambling break off a small piece of a toothpick and glue it in the hole with wood glue then reinstall the screw after the glue sets.)

Charles

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2004-06-12 23:02 ]
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parny,
Mirror should fit flush with tapered side boards on all models! Someone probably tried to clean the mirror and bent the frame!
There are 4 large headed screws on the bottom side of the mirror, they hold the 2 triangular mirror clamps (w/felt under them) loosen all 4 screws so that the mirror will slip a bit, then carefully twist the frame back into shape..>if the mirror isnt free to move, then there is the possibility of breaking the mirror however!
Mirror can be removed if necessary, but screws are very hard to get back in place while mirror frame is still in the body, so if necessary, remove the clamp from one side only, and remove the mirror! Forgot to say, GG must be removed to get at the mirror, and you will need a lot of patience to get the 2 screws back in place! Can be done if carefull.....just dont break the mirror, will have to find a replacement, and most std mirrors are to thick, even if you can have one cut to your specs! Good luck..........Bert
Note: another problem....mirror frame has a cloth light trap glued to it, so removing the frame, would be another headache!

parny

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, What RB do I have --
hood shutter speed badge says RB auto graflex
side shutter speed badge say RB Graflex Series D curtain aperture.

Thanks for the thoughts, all.

My shutter has an I/T sliding lever labelled "I" on the lever that pulls the mirror down into position. Pulling the mirror down seems to work freely & correctly, nothing in the way. I haven't popped the curtain wind/mirror lever plate off, so it's possible there's a latch under that that's not working? I see the latch inside the camera body that is released when you press the shutter release.

Mirror is misaligned only in the down position, as far as I can tell -- it does still to still be blocking light from the film plane when in the down position, although I haven't tested it with a very bright light yet.

I'll try Bert's suggestion of loosening the mirror clamp screws from the back and seeing if I can twist the mirror fram with them loose (is the mirror frame itself wood or metal? I can't tell from what I can see).

-- PA

bertsaunders

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metal frame......the latch catches the front corner of the frame to hold it down, activated by the shutter release!
>>There are >no latches<< under that aperture plate, cannot remove it anyways, until you remove the taper pin that holds the mirror cocking lever in place! Before you try to remove that taper pin, email me for instructions, have made lots of repairs to straighten/repair the mirror shafts, when
those pins are drilled out, or bent when not backing up the shaft! ........Bert
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did the mirror re-do work out, did you solve the problem? Bert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: