Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How are you treated?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack5541

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-05-26 09:45, RichS wrote:
Thanks!!!

Gees, I wish I would have thought of the 3-cell... There's a perfect example of "there's thousands of them, what's the big deal" attitude in action!

Thank you, Rich!!!

I just made that very point over there.
disemjg

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a difference between "modify" and "butcher". I'll bet that if he actually tries that project all he will wind up with is kindling and a pile of parts. I have never heard of such a crackpot idea, and hope it is an aberriton.

45PSS

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i'll chop mine up and use it for kindling this winter.

glennfromwy

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave him my two cent opinion. I hope he got his money's worth.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Rangemaster

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Glenn are you the same Glenn that just got a nice new piece of GG for your camera, if you are you will know who I am..

Dave
dvonk

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

destroying a speed for lighter weight is an atrocity. a couple months back i bought a 'raped' top handle speed off ebay, and ive put many hours into it to clean it up and try to return it to some sort of working order... i dont currently have all the means to restore it esthetically, but functionally it is coming right along- i could take a very descent picture with it. not so when i bought it, thats for sure.

practically the whole time i have been working on this project camera i have been loathing the fool who modified the poor speed (very badly, i might add) to 'make it better' in some way. people should leave things well enough alone.
Graflex Sid

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will alway's have the 'nuts'who want to turn a Rolls-Royce into a 'ploughing machine'.We here in G.B.have a television programme showing how to do these wild ventures.

Unfortunately,knowing the human race,we like 'destroying'things of beauty.More so in this modern age.It's sad,but it happens all around us,daily!.

Mark you,would he be able to 'modify'the plastic rubbish on the market today,the answer is NO.I suppose credit must go to the Graphic being made of wood (except the Century).

Let us enjoy what we have got in our collection that's the main thing-we the TRUE Graphic buffs must stick together & keep alive the name of this great American Camera,known throughout the World.
dvonk

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

god, i hate all the plastic used today... everything used to be made of metal and was very high quality. i buy and refurbish antique items to use as household objects because the items today are such crap. everything has 'built-in obsolescence' and breaks. my western electric 302 metal/bakelite telephone weighs like 10 pounds and was manufactured in the '40s- it still works like a charm, and its built like a tank. can you see the plastic worthlessness manufactured today around 60 years from now? not a chance.
Jack5541

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand photo.net Kelly's point to an extent about collectors who stick cameras on a shelf to just sit there collecting dust for the ages, but no one suggested that this is what the naysayers were advocating....she was the one who brought that up. I definitely don't advocate butchering up a reasonably functional Speed and trying to alter it to the extent that guy wants to. There are enough junked Graphics that end up on eBay after people realize that these projects just weren't worth all the effort that they were putting into them.

There is a local Mom & Pop art-deco/one-hour photo shop in a strip mall near where I live here in Southeast Massachusetts. There is a shelf about 8 feet high (just out of arms reach) that goes around all 3 side walls of the store. The shelf all the way round the store is crammed up with vintage cameras, including about a dozen Graphics & Rollei TLR's each, and many other models from days gone by. These cameras don't get touched, they don't get moved, don't get cleaned or dusted, no maintenance or upkeep, there is just a total lack of attention given to them. I made the ultimate sin one day when I asked the woman who runs the shop (and owns the cameras) if any were for purchase. "No!!! Absolutely not!!!," she replied, "Those are MINE!!!" OK, said I as I turned and left her shop.

The next time I went in I started up with her again, asking about the cameras and not worrying if she remembered me from my previous visit a few weeks prior. No, they were not for purchase under any conditions, she said. Well, said I, "it is an out-right shame that those cameras are just left up there collecting dust year after year," etc...etc...etc.... I went on and on to her for quite some time, extolling the virtues and worth of the cameras and about having the same appreciation for their heritage and history that has been discussed several times here on this Help Board. She just looked at me with the same scowl and zoned-out, dead-pan stare on her face, seemingly oblivious to what I was saying except for an occasional & polite "OH!" and "You don't say." When I was done with my soap-box rant, she went back to her work taking high school senior portraits with her Nikon Coolpix. It was like banging my head against a wall. It was like I had suggested painting a mustache on the "Mona Lisa."

I still go in there because she has low prices on what little paper & chemistry that she still sells. And because I like to punish myself by eye-balling the Graphics, feeling a twinge of regret about their ignored state and wishing all the while that I could snatch them off their perch and take them home and give them the attention and use that they so rightly deserve.

[ This Message was edited by: Jack5541 on 2004-05-27 05:58 ]
RichS

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, on the brite side, those cameras are not being chopped up and destroyed! And they will be sold some day ANd hopefully to someone who will restore them and use them as they were intended!

And after all this discussion (and I _really_ hate posting on photonet, and not just because of their server or software!), I'm getting the idea to purchase another side rangefinder Speed now! I could use a backup and I'd like the thought of saving one in response to that one that may see the end of it's life... I'll have to see now if I can find one....

glennfromwy

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Dave --- Yup, I'm the guy with the beautiful new ground glass.
I would like to recommend your glass to others on the site, too. Nice stuff!

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Rangemaster

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it might be you, and then the kicker was when you posted over at photo.net last night. I figured it would just be time before I ran into someone who had purchased glass from me, we have sold over 100 pieces now and have had a big name company request a sample to see if they want to offer it in their camera line, thanks for the recommend..

We all ought to plan an outing to either glacier or yellowstone one of these days in the future so we could shot together and get to know one another, we could call the group the 'Graflex Goons'

Dave
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And don't forget that the "Mahogany" use to be a Beautiful Tree in a Beautiful Rain Forrest that is now extinct and that "Morrican Leather" was once an aminal that did not die of old age.

RichS

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-05-27 18:38, 45PSS wrote:
And don't forget that the "Mahogany" use to be a Beautiful Tree in a Beautiful Rain Forrest that is now extinct and that "Morrican Leather" was once an aminal that did not die of old age.

Your point is valid, but... You can (or could have) plant more mahogany trees! They do "farm" them now. The animal thing is something totally different and depends on viewpoints we should probably not bring up here
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2005-12-26 20:12 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: