Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any and all info on Busch Pressman
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Non-Graflex Cameras
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drcocktail

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2001 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just acquired my first 4x5 camera, a Busch Pressman. I am interested in any literature written about this camera - or forums specifically addressing it. I have the original operating manual, but that's it. I known it SEEMS like a Crown Graphic; I'd just like to know how much so.

Thanks! --Doc.
jpmose

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2001 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc,

Congratulations on your first 4 X 5 camera...and welcome to this great website. It is full of valuable information. Also check out the following large format website, which focuses on all brands of large format cameras (they also have a question and answer forum like this site):

http://HTTP.CS.Berkeley.EDU/~qtluong/photography/lf/

Also, check Ebay (www.ebay.com) regularly for Busch literature and accessories for your camera. One of my passions is early Hasselblad cameras and its literature and accessories. I have found some of the rarest accessories on Ebay...but it requires frequent checking.

Most major photography dealers have websites, which may have Busch items as well. Good luck! JP Mose
drcocktail

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2001 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I posted my query on the forum you suggested as well. eBay is, in fact, where I got my Busch Pressman! I guess I really want to get some idea of the DIFFERENCES between my BP & Crown Graphics. SO much has been written about Graflex cameras, and apparently so little on mine. Are there any BP users out there who can give me an overview? Thanks! --Doc.
jpmose

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2001 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc,

I have another suggestion...go to the library and look up "Busch Pressman" in the Readers Guide to Periodical Literature. I did this 30 years ago on Graflex products and had a lot of fun copying magazine articles and advertisements from magazines dating back to the 1940's (or older for that matter). If I recall, there are articles comparing various press/field cameras such as Linhof, Graflex, Busch, Meridian, etc. (I think Meridian was the "best buy"). Plus, you could develop a list of articles available, then search on Ebay for the original magazines, if this interest you.

J. P. Mose
drcocktail

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2001 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT idea. I'm on it. Matter of fact, I bet an online version of that resource will be available in the not-too-distant future. Still, any trip to the library is a pleasure for me.

Thanks again! --Doc.
Les

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2001 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to find the main library of a major city--a place that can hold onto old material. My small town library gave up Reader's Guide for, yep, an intranet version. The problem is that is doesn't go back far enough--only 10 years max.
jpmose

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2001 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc,

Les is right. I see you live in the LA area. I lived in LA for 13 years and the downtown library is extensive...back in the 1980's they had most of the old photography magazines in bound books (or at least on Microfiche). In fact "Book City" on Hollywood Blvd. used to have a lot of old photography books from yesteryear. I bought several editions of "Graphic Graflex Photography" from them, along with many other books from the 40's and 50's. They also have a store out in Burbank at the old Burbank street mall. In 2001, who knows, it may be very "picked over" by this point. Ebay is a great source for old literature (Craig Camera too! http://www.craigcamera.com ) Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!

JP
jeffw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2001 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc, the following web site has some Busch info:

http://people.smu.edu/rmonagha/mf/busch.html

I just bought a Pressman on ebay too. It arrived yesterday. Mine's a 6X7 cm model. A prior owner has added a Graphic "23" rollfilm back (with no dark slide).He also added a mask made out of black sheet plastic to cut the frame down to 6X6. My camera has the side-mounted Kalart rangefinder with the "Focus Spot" attachment, although the light bulb assembly for this is missing.
pcaplow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2001 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's been a few days since you asked your question, but I just read it, and since no one else has answered it, I'll just jump in now and try to do so. The Crown Graphic is slightly larger but slightly lighter than the Busch Pressman. Whereas the Busch is made of metal, the Graphic is wood covered with leather.

In theory, the Graphic makes for a better press camera because, at least with the later top rangefinder models, the lenses each have their own focusing cam which allows the use of quickly interchangeable lenses. This appears to be mostly a theoretical advantage, however, because, based on what I have seen on Ebay, most Graphics come equipped with only the 135mm lens end very seldom will an ad even refer to the cam. Quite often, the ad will say that the rangefinder does not work. They usually add that this is very common with the top rangefinder model. My guess is that many of these sellers are not aware that there should be a cam, and, when it is missing, they just assume that the rangefinder is broken. I've never seen the Graphic offered on Ebay with a full set of lenses comprised of a wide angle, normal, and telephoto lens. Also, I've never seen a lens advertised on Ebay as being for a Crown Graphic and including the correct cam, although I have never really been out looking for such a thing. There is an additional problem associated with using the Crown Graphic as a hand holdable 4x5 camera with interchangeable lenses. In addition to needing the correct cam for each lens, one also needs the correct mask for the viewfinder. These also seem to be quite rare and as far as really wide angle lenses are concerned, I don't believe that the standard viewfinder has a wide enough angle of view even without any mask, to be used.

I would not say that the Busch is more reliable or dependable than the Graphic because Graphics are dependable and durable. They just look cheap. The Busch's quality of construction does appear to be much higher than that of the Graphic. It's more elegant, and, as they say, built like a tank. Most Graphics come with a 135mm, f4.7 Optar. At first, I assumed that this was identical to the Raptar on my Busch. They had, after all, the same focal length and maximum aperture, were made by the same company (Wollensak), and were mounted in identical Wollensak shutters. However, a knowledgeable photographer friend of mine swears that the Raptar is a superior 4 element design compared to the three element Optar. If this is true, presumably it only holds true for the Wollensak Optar. The standard lens on the Super Graphics was also called an Optar but was labled as a product of the German company, Rodenstock.

While the majority of Busch 4x5's on Ebay, have side mounted Kalart viewfinders mine has the top mounted Vue-Focus combined rangefinder/viewfinder. Besides offering the advantages of a combined unit, it also has automatic parallax correction. An additional plus is the inclusion of a second tripod socket on the right side of the camera. This is a very handy thing to have for view camera use. The Vue-Focus does not have a focusing cam system. Rather, like the Kalart, it is adjustable internally for use with different lenses. I don't have a manual for it and I haven't tried adjusting it for another lens, but I have examined the mechanism and the adjustment possibilities seem to be pretty obvious. I just think it's a whole lot cooler than the separate rangefinder and viewfinder on the Graphic.

When it comes to view camera usage, the Busch is much more versatile than the Graphic. Both cameras have movements only on the front standard. The Graphic has backward tilt, rise, drop bed, and a small amount of shift. The Busch has forward and backward tilt, rise, drop bed, and geared shift. What makes the Busch so much more versatile as a view camera is the rotating back in conjunction with the extra tripod mount on the side. It has a huge amount of rise, and this movement can be used as fall (camera upside down) or shift for either a vertical or horizontal formatted picture. Similarly, the generous tilt can double as swing by turning the camera on its side. You can even get a combination of swing and tilt by tilting the front standard while rotating the back to an intermediate position and tilting the tripod head enough to bring the back into a horizontal or vertical position.

There is one area in which the Graphic really shines. That is the design of the folding hood surrounding the ground glass. It is a lovely all metal hood that opens and closes easily and provides a clear view of the entire ground glass. The hood on the Busch has leather panels on three sides and does an excellent job of obscuring the edges of the ground glass.

Peter Caplow
Les

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2001 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see some literature on this three element 135mm f4.7 Optar. From everything I've seen, felt and shot, It's a 4 element Tessar just like the 127 Ektar. Most Optars were made by Wollensak for Gralfex. Later Rodenstock became the supplier.

Les
bscholles

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2001 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-11-15 07:19, drcocktail wrote:
Thanks! I posted my query on the forum you suggested as well. eBay is, in fact, where I got my Busch Pressman! I guess I really want to get some idea of the DIFFERENCES between my BP & Crown Graphics. SO much has been written about Graflex cameras, and apparently so little on mine. Are there any BP users out there who can give me an overview? Thanks! --Doc.
bscholles

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2001 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-11-14 11:33, drcocktail wrote:
I've just acquired my first 4x5 camera, a Busch Pressman. I am interested in any literature written about this camera - or forums specifically addressing it. I have the original operating manual, but that's it. I known it SEEMS like a Crown Graphic; I'd just like to know how much so.

Thanks! --Doc.

Hi Doc-

A Busch Pressman eh. Well, I acquired a Busch Pressman from an older fellow in Newcomerstown, Ohio about 15 years ago. I turned around and stupidly sold it to a photographer in Niles, Michigan for about what I paid for it. That was one of the biggest photographic mistakes I ever made.

I decided I needed all the swings, tilts and everything else that a monorail view camera could give me. Unfortunately, the monorail also gives you about twenty pounds more weight!

In some respects I think the Pressman is superior to the Graphic products. I really like the all metal body and the rotating back. You need to use it like a view camera and keep it on a tripod for all shots. Forget the rangefinder. Use the ground glass. I bought a fresnel lens for the ground glass for it and superglued it to the inside surface of the ground glass. (That's where a fresnel is supposed to go, not the outside).

Anyway, I found an Anniversary Graphic with an Ektar 127mm lens (same as what I had on the BP) for a very good price. The monorail is still collecting dust, but I'm happy now.

bscholles@aol.com

bob2309

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2x3 Busch and like it very much. The 2x3 does not have the nice movements like the model D 4x5. A disadvantage of the 2x3 is that it does not have a graflok back and you can not put one from a graphic on it.

I do not know about the model D and graflok backs....does anyone care to comment on this.

I also use a 2x3 pacemaker and will likly start using it more than the Busch C (inspite of its heaver weight..I should get a crown) because of the folding infinity stops. I can use it with the 101 Ektar with the range finder for most work or with a second set of stops for a teloptar and the focus screen or with hyperfocal focusing using calibration marks I added. Or revert to the focusing screen. Bob
Buschman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone looking for information on the Busch Pressman you can down load the instruction manual for free at http://members.fortunecity.com/canoneos/manuals/buschpressman.html
Norman72

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-11-14 11:33, drcocktail wrote:

Thanks! --Doc.

Look for my post of 11 Jul 02(Norman72)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Non-Graflex Cameras All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: