Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4x5 Vulcanoid Handicase

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvonk

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a Vulcanoid Handicase for my 4x5 Anny Speed, and i have a question on the purpose of one of the parts.

there is slim wooden bar located at the very front of the inside of the case. its about a 1/4 inch tall, 3/4 wide, and is a couple inches shorter than the full sideways length of the case. its connected to the front corners of the case by about a foot of webbing on each end.

my question is, what is it? i cant seem to find a purpose for it. am i missing something that it needs to have a purpose, or am i just not seeing it? either way, i would love to be enlightened so i can put this mystery to rest.
Jack5541

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dvonk....
Perhaps this will help?

http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/4266_handicase2.gif

It's kinda hard to read but I was able to click on the image to expand it so the printing was legible.
RichS

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you asked that question, because I for got to

The instruction sheet at southbristolviews.com doesn't mention this "feature" of the case.

I have the same thing on one of my cases. It looks like an older case, in black instead of the grey. I use it for my traveling Crown.

The slot it reesides in seemed to me to be for documents at first sight. Then I saw the cloth straps at the corners connected to the wood bar resting at the bottom. I have yet to figure out what this could possibly be for. It's certainly not strong enough to pick the case up with and just doesn't seem to have a purpose. But it must do something...

So, I'd like to know what that wood bar is for also. And apparently now that I know there's another one in the world, it's undoubtedly from the factory...

dvonk

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my initial impression for the purpose was that it was to attach to the lid of the case to keep it vertical by preventing it from falling back... however, i cannot find anything on the lid that would allow me to attach it, so the purpose remains unknown. i figured if anyone would know, itd be someone here.
Les

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This case probably has a threaded socket somewhere in the lid too.

The top to the Crown #1 threads on to this socket, the legs lay on top of this strapped bar.

You could probably get the first set of legs out and with mine, you can get the second set of legs out because of the deep cut out, but you have to pull on the straps to get the last set.

Mine isnt' a vulcanized case, it's leather but the idea is the same.

Les
RichS

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be darned. I had to double-check. Hard to see in the dark with a black case, but yep, there's a little bushing inside the top cover with a 1/4-20 threaded hole in it.

So now I have a home for my Crown #1 tripod!

But now I wonder what camera would have been proper for this case and that tripod???

Thanks!

Les

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not they suggested a Crown #1 or a Crown Jr. for all Graphic cameras, probably until the mid sixties. I know one guy that has a Crown from the early 60s!

So it could be any Anny or Pace if its Vulcanoid. The leather version is probably Anny or Pre anny.

dvonk

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks alot, the legs to my Crown #1 do fit in the slot. i had the head attached to the socket in the lid, but the legs were wrapped in canvas and held by the elastic strap on the lid.

which now poses a new question... what is the purpose of the verticle elastic strap and the elastic 'plus-shaped' thing in the lower left corner of the lid?

Edit: and while were at it, what exactly is the purpose of the smaller compartment inside the case that has the snap on lid?

[ This Message was edited by: dvonk on 2004-05-13 00:44 ]
alecj

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The strap is for a lens hood, and the compartment, found only on the Handicase, is for an extra lens on a board.

BTW, this is a good time to mention all this info has previously been covered on this board, and a simple search [the search function here really works!!!!] would have turned up all these answers.
RichS

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-05-13 08:00, alecj wrote:
BTW, this is a good time to mention all this info has previously been covered on this board, and a simple search [the search function here really works!!!!] would have turned up all these answers.

I just finished a half dozen searches for this info and came up empty. Absolutly no mention of the tripod slot & holder, nor this elastic strap, which is not the one you're talking about by the way... There's always room for more info and it doesn't hurt to cover the old stuff again...

Anyway, that elastic strap is another curiosity. Right in the center of the top cover, front to back. Not strong enough to hold much. Maybe a pack of flash bulbs, but then there's that big camera in the way???
An instruction book? I don't think it would hold with a single, weak, elastic strap? A grey card maybe

So, who knows what this one is for???

And a PS about that small covered compartment. It won't hold a big lens, but it's a perfect fit for the 90mm, which I think it was designed for...

Les

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the later Korean era Signal Corp cameras came in this case. They show the instruction manual and possibly a dark cloth up there.

Remember too, the strap and the vet that used them, had more elasticity that they do now.

RichS

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-05-13 12:10, Les wrote:
Most of the later Korean era Signal Corp cameras came in this case. They show the instruction manual and possibly a dark cloth up there.

Remember too, the strap and the vet that used them, had more elasticity that they do now.

That makes sense in a lot of ways, the case being black for one. Never thought of a dark cloth. Not a bad idea if it was a very thin one.

But now why does old elastic get soft and old people get stiff???

alecj

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, I responded to the question about "the elastic 'plus-shaped' thing in the lower left corner of the lid?", and the side compartment. MY answer was correct. You are referring to a DIFFERENT strap, and other questions I did not respond to.

BOTH of these questions have been answered in the past, [by me, in fact], and a search on cases turns up threads revealing the answer.

Lots of good info is there simply for a minimum search.
RichS

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-05-14 07:24, alecj wrote:
Rich, I responded to the question about "the elastic 'plus-shaped' thing in the lower left corner of the lid?", and the side compartment. MY answer was correct. You are referring to a DIFFERENT strap, and other questions I did not respond to.

BOTH of these questions have been answered in the past, [by me, in fact], and a search on cases turns up threads revealing the answer.

Lots of good info is there simply for a minimum search.

Well the problem there is that you said "all the info is there", which of course it isn't as I stated in my post. The info about the front slot and the elastic strap is new to the board. As is the black case, with slot, being from the Korean era.

And, I like to get the conversations going. Very often repeated questions bring up new questions & answers. Like my black case being from the Korean era. I never even thought of asking about that case. Now I not only know what that dumb slot is for, but roughly when it was made.

If everyone relied on searches and old info, we'd not only miss the coversations, but all the new info that is brought out. I'm not knocking suggesting the search function as it's great and does produce all the previous base of knowledge. But don't knock the conversations either!

willysmb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I placed a pics of one of my vulcanoïd case :
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/willysmb/images/127.jpg

The site is : http://www.willysmb.com

I will place in some days, some detailled pics about the recommandation from US army for place all in the case.

Regards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: