Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sunpak 555 w/Super Speed Graphic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lovebitn

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I'm new here. I just got my Super Speed Graphic and I'm already trying to figure out how to rig one of my flashes to it. My lens does not have a pc connection, so I will have to buy a cord from Paramount. It's the standard 135 lens. I think that the best flash to link it to would be my Sunpak 555. However I also have the Vivitar 283 and Canon 550 EX. I'd also like the ability of linking it somehow to my studio strobes (Alien Bees).
Now, my camera is not in perfect working order. It seems the rangefinder is broke. I don't know what's wrong with it and wasn't interested in fixing it yet because I use the ground glass. I will eventually get it fixed. I've read that the lens is supposed to have a solenoid. I don't think mine does and I'm not really sure if it even needs one. It's got a couple of wires on the back of the lens board. When I push the little red button, it doesn't do anything.
So, after giving you all this information, do you think after spending the money on a cord or two (Sunpak and studio)...will my 3 contacts on the side of the camera even work? Can I test this somehow before buying the cords? How are these 3 holes linked to the shutter? I'll be glad to furnish more info and pictures if needed.

Jack5541

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-05-07 06:26, lovebitn wrote:
Hi. I'm new here. I just got my Super Speed Graphic and I'm already trying to figure out how to rig one of my flashes to it. My lens does not have a pc connection, so I will have to buy a cord from Paramount. It's the standard 135 lens. I think that the best flash to link it to would be my Sunpak 555. However I also have the Vivitar 283 and Canon 550 EX. I'd also like the ability of linking it somehow to my studio strobes (Alien Bees).

Hi, can we assume that you have the camera's original Graflex 1000 shutter? If this is the case (and it seems so by your statement that it doesn't have any PC connection) then, yes, Paramount can make up custom cords which will fit whatever flash connections you have to the 3 pin holes on the lower right side of the camera body. I have a Sunpak 522, which I believe accepts the small mini-plug as the 555. Paramount made my cord and it works just fine.

Quote:

Now, my camera is not in perfect working order. It seems the rangefinder is broke. I don't know what's wrong with it and wasn't interested in fixing it yet because I use the ground glass. I will eventually get it fixed.

The rangefinder problem is tough to diagnose without being able to have a close look at the camera. Is the correct cam in place? Is the small flat black piece of metal in place beween the yoke rail and arm? Perhaps this could be dislodged or bent? There could also be something amiss between the rangefinder at the top of the camera and the tube which leads down to the yoke. I had a non-working rangefinder when I got my Super Speed camera and I sent it out to Fred Lustig who had all the necessary parts to put everything to work correctly.

Quote:

I've read that the lens is supposed to have a solenoid. I don't think mine does and I'm not really sure if it even needs one. It's got a couple of wires on the back of the lens board. When I push the little red button, it doesn't do anything.

Well, the solenoid is actually housed within the lower front standard assembly. It's purpose is to remotely trip the shutter by either pressing the red button at the top left side of the camera or by pressing the red button on the Graflite battery case, provided that you have the correct Y-cord. That second option is probably something you don't need to worry about since you may not have a Graflite battery case, nor does it sound like you will be needing one to fire flashbulbs. As you mentioned, the lens board has internal wiring which makes contact to the solenoid in the lower standard frame. When you press the red button on the camera, this trips the solenoid, which trips the shutter through the lensboard. But also in the equation you need two 22.5 volt batteries which must be in place in the top of the camera, next to the rangefinder housing. Do you have fresh batteries and the battery compartment cover to hold them in place and complete the contact? If not, this could be why the red button does nothing. If you need batteries, they can be found here:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?cookie%5Ftest=1&catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F004%5F012%5F002%5F000&product%5Fid=960%2D0437

If the red button still fails to trip the shutter with fresh batteries & battery door in place, then I would suspect something is amiss within the wiring which leads from the button, down to the bellows, flash outlet, and to the solenoid. At this point, you would probably need to have Fred Lustig check on these functions, if you really think that you need to use the electronic shutter release.

Quote:

So, after giving you all this information, do you think after spending the money on a cord or two (Sunpak and studio)...will my 3 contacts on the side of the camera even work? Can I test this somehow before buying the cords? How are these 3 holes linked to the shutter? I'll be glad to furnish more info and pictures if needed.

Once you have fresh batteries in the camera, you should be able to put a voltage tester to the 3 contacts. These 3 outlet contacts are tied into the electronic shutter release/solenoid wiring which is concealed within the camera bellows and goes to the solenoid in the front standard.

There are other caveats regarding the Graflex 1000 shutter which you need to consider as well. I suggest you do a Help Board search for "Graflex 1000" or "Super Speed Graphic shutter" or something like this. There has been alot of discussion in the past regarding this particular camera, shutter and flash. To do a search, scroll back up to the top of this thread and click on "search" then do a keyword for "All of the terms" in "all forums."

Hope this helps,
Good Luck with it.
---Jack

[ This Message was edited by: Jack5541 on 2004-05-07 07:55 ]
lovebitn

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jack,
Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I've got the lens that goes to 1/1000th. It took a while to figure out how to cock the shutter with the lens. I'm used to pushing buttons. Rotating a lens barrel just seems weird, but cool.

It does have a cam, but I didn't check to see what number is printed on it.

I don't have my camera with me right now 'cause I'm at work...working...yep..heehee

I'll take a closer look tonight to see if the metal is bent and explore it a little further than just saying it doesn't work.

I will look into calling Fred to see about fixing the rangefinder later. But, right now it's too new and I want to take pictures with it. To be honest I'm not even sure which window is the rangefinder window, the one on the top right of the camera or the one just below it towards the center on the camera body. My guess is the second one. I'm just taking Adorama's word that the rangefinder is broke. Otherwise, the camera is in pretty great shape.

I didn't even think about batteries! I just assumed it didn't need batteries! heehee
I'm going to assume it doesn't have batteries and buy some.

And I didn't know the solenoid thing was inside the front standard. For some reason I was thinking that it was visible on the front or back of the lens board.

I see I've got a lot to learn.

Thanks,
Barbara

Ronin

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've got a similar problem.
I recently purchased a Graflex Super Speed Graphic with its original Rodenstock 1000 134/4.5 Lens. The camera features the well-known 1/1000" electronic shutter. However, I live in Italy and it is very hard (near impossible) to find those strange batteries required to activate it. I don't care, since I don't plan to use the camera handheld. But is it still possible to connect a Metz 54mz4 flash to my Graflex using the three-pin contact solenoid situated on the lens board?

regards

Fulvio
lovebitn

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can connect 'em using the paramount cord:
http://www.paramountcords.com/graflex.htm

But, if it works...that's for somebody else to write. heehee

I'm learning too.

Ronin

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I was aware of that. But I'm unsure if this particular syncro will work without batteries. Besides, I think I'll try to manufacture the cable on my own instead of importing it from Paramount (it would be a little too expensive for a simple cable). I'll let you know if I succeed.

Thank you anyway

ps - does anyone of you know where to find online some b&w filters for the rodenstock 1000 lens? They're not screw-in type: how are they called?

[ This Message was edited by: Ronin on 2004-05-08 02:09 ]
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the good old days, threaded filters were known as "custom," and cost more. Most filters were unthreaded, and came in "series" sizes. They were used with "adapter rings" threaded to fit lenses of various diameters -- or to slip over the flange of the front cell.

I think your Rodenstock lens uses "series 6" accessories someone on this site who has one will know for sure. Series filters often turn up on eBay, and an established camera dealer may have a drawer full of them.

I have no burning desire to own a "Super Graphic," but I may have to get one just to find out what this body synch terminal business is all about. Might it not be more straightforward to identify the synch wires running inside the lensboard, and just install some kind of female connector on the board itself, perhaps a 1/8-in. miniature phone jack?
Jack5541

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-05-08 08:20, t.r.sanford wrote:
I think your Rodenstock lens uses "series 6" accessories someone on this site who has one will know for sure. Series filters often turn up on eBay, and an established camera dealer may have a drawer full of them.

Yes you are correct, T.R.
With the Graflex 1000 shutter what you do is turn the outer (ribbed) hood/shade clockwise to cock the shutter, we already know this. But if you turn the hood/shade COUNTER-CLOCKWISE it actually unscrews all the way off to reveal a pocket/recess into which you can drop Series VI filters. One warning about unscrewing it off, though, is to be gentle but firm with it the first time you try it as it might be stuck in place or otherwise difficult to unscrew. You need to be careful to not cause damage to an already elderly & fragile shutter, some of which have proven to be prone to failure after all these years.

[ This Message was edited by: jack5541 on 2004-05-08 10:41 ]
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super/Super Speed repair manual (reprint) and Graflex 1000 shutter repair manual available from Craig Camera.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: