Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

King Sol variations

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently aquired a NIB/NOS King Sol three-cell battery case, synchonizer, reflector, and bracket. While identical with the the battery case I already had, the new one was made of rather thin-guage alumininum instead of the nicklel/chrome over brass of my other battery case. Anyone have an idea why this is? Wartime messure to conserve brass? The graphic on the reflector box rather proudly states "The favorite flash equiptment of press, and Army and Navy photographers".
Also in the box was the installation instructions and catalouge. Very intresting reading.
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason probably related to the intersection of economics and technology, aluminum became a lot more prevalent in the '50s than it had been before. My guess is that the robust aviation industry that emerged from WWII was responsible for this, creating a sustained demand that allowed lower-cost aluminum production, and developing better ways to form and work aluminum.

The "King Sol" flashgun was manufactured by the company that turned into Paramount, the justly celebrated cord manufacturer. A pleasant company history, and a photo of a "King Sol" gun, can be found at http://www.paramountcords.com/profile.htm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the Paramount site, and the guns I have are similiar to that pictured.
So let me get this straight:
King Sol Research became Paramount, and just plain Sol became Heiland Research? I have three-cell battery cases from all three, and while there is a family resemblance with all three there are also differences.

[ This Message was edited by: Top on 2004-04-12 12:27 ]
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the time I was reading about photographic gear (say, 1955 or so), the Heiland flashgun line had been acquired by Honeywell. I have the vague feeling that this took place around 1950, but the deal may have included Honeywell's using the "Heiland Research" trademark for a specified period of time.

I have the even vaguer feeling that Heiland Research was founded well before WWII, and made esoteric instrumentation of some kind. According to legend, they decided to manufacture flashguns (and solenoids, mechanical synchronizers, etc.) when the Depression cut into their esoteric-instrumentation business. Their success may have inspired Graflex (and others, like the producers of the "King Sol" gun), but photoflash was not where they started.

After the war, when the economy picked up and Honeywell expressed an interest in becoming a photographic equipment manufacturer, HR seized the opportunity to once again concentrate on seismographs, or whatever it was that they did. They may still be doing it.
Micah in NC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. & Top:

I did a quick search and found mention of one of the founders of Heiland Research Corporation, Mr. John C. Hollister, a geological engineer. Apparently, the company was founded in 1934 by Hollister and Carl Heiland, and HR was later acquired by Honeywell.

Here is the link to this info:
http://www.mssu.edu/seg-vm/bio_john_c__hollister.html

This page is a bit different than above and contains a some history on HR and their Heiland flash guns:
http://www.mssu.edu/seg-vm/bio_john_hollister.html

Here is a photo of Carl Heiland:
http://www.alumnifriends.mines.edu/photo_gallery/1933/17.htm

And from a fourth page, which proves T.R. correct on the original HR instruments, "Dr. Carl Heiland was a pioneer geophysicist. He was asked in 1928 to set up a geophysical program at the Colorado School of Mines. Equally important, Heiland diversified by creating Heiland Research Corporation to develop seismograph instruments which would fathom the depths of the sedimentary basin."

Hope this helps...

--Micah in NC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: