Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Century Universal info?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read quite a few glowing reports of bellows from camerabellows and would probably trust them. But I have heard a few good reports about Turner too in recent years. It's a lot to bet on... Then again, they haven't answered my e-mail about how to go about getting the original to them and such other details. So maybe they just don't want my business? On the other hand, camerabellws answered my e-mail within a day...

No, haven't found any marking at all except the various scratches & scrapes. And no serial numbers at all... Just the name tag on the side. Maybe they just didn't make too many of these? Seems to be quite a few left though?

And I made a slight mistake with the description. They don't have friction front rise. They're all geared... And it works real well with loosed wood joints too!

worldphoto

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich
How did buying new 8x10 bellows come out? Are you happy with the supplier/maker?
I am looking for a source for new extension bellows for my 8x10. It's necessary because of my new supplementary lens requires about a 40" draw.
Harry
RichS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could tell you. The CU's got wrapped in good & bad times. The 'good' was that I grabbed a third CU that had a great (replaced) bellows. So the immediate need wasn't there. The 'bad' is that I just couldn't swing the extra cash. So a new bellows will have to wait a little longer.

Not having the personal experience, I would offer the following for new bellows.

If you need a bellows to exactly fit a camera, especially a difficult design (like a CU), I would go with Camera Bellows without a doubt or second thought. And I will, hopefully soon. The bellows is out and waiting....

For an 'easy' bellows or one that is not that critical, you could save a little money and go with Turner Bellows in Rochester or Western Bellows (in California I think?). They both have good reputations with few complaints, but nothing like Camera Bellows in England whom I've never heard a complaint about.

worldphoto

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rich!
The money I saved on the minus lenses will help pay for the bellows. I'll likely go for the cheapest bellows as long as their light tight. I'll also be able to go larger than life size so it will serve two functions.
Harry
I've found camerabellows and turnerbellows web sites but I'm unable to bring up http://www.westernbellows.com (Wrong address?).

[ This Message was edited by: worldphoto on 2004-03-21 14:59 ]
marcof

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of back and forth about bellows here but still no one has come up with any new info on these CU 8x10s. I just acquired a nice example and I'm very impressed with the overall design and quality of construction. Mine has a geared front rise that is balky. Further investigation revealed a small pinion gear with bent/broken teeth! Anyone know where I can get one of these?
Mine is also missing the knob for the uppermost extension bed. I can still slide it in and out by hand but I have no way of locking it, although it seems to remain in position on its own if the extension isn't too extreme. This extension bed doesn't seem to have any gear tracks, so I assume that the missing knob is only there as a grip and a locking device. If anyone can confirm this please do or set me straight. Oh - and -anyone know where I can get one of these also?
marcof

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost forgot- Here is an unusual website with some great images of a restored Century Universal and a very interesting comparison of CU vs ANSCO. go to:
http://www.slalom.20megsfree.com
and click on the appropriate topic. Have fun.
worldphoto

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco
Very impressive photographs on your referenced link! Have you tried contacting the owner of that 8x10 CU(circa 1928)?
Harry

[ This Message was edited by: worldphoto on 2004-03-28 13:17 ]
RichS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the CU. Wonderful cameras... But repairing them is something else as you're finding out...

I can't help with the front rise gear, but if you find a source, please let us know!!!

As for the top extension rail knob. Yes, that's just a lock to hold the rail in place. No gearing. You lossen the knob, pull out the rail, then tighten the knob. As for the knob itself, I found one at the local hardware store that fits perfectly. It's a small brass knurled knob in size #6. Can't honestly say if it's fine (40) or course (32) thread, but they're only 40 cents a piece or so... I bought several in #4 & 6 just to be sure (Umm, might even be a #8, as a #6 washer didn't fit the screw...).

Many other parts, including the tiny screws are very difficult to find... Good luck!

[ This Message was edited by: richs on 2004-03-29 13:32 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: