Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dark cloth use?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a dark cloth for my Speed Graphic after seeing some views on the GG but haven't used it yet. Now I'm wondering???

First, the 'cloth' has two sides. An actual cloth side and the other rubberized. I'm wondering which is recommended for inside/outside? At first I thought the rubberized would go inside like a changing bag. But then I thought about having that rubber against my head and sweating? Not to mention rubbing off from wear against the camera? But rubber out. What will sunshine do to it over time? Which way is recommended?

Second... Any suggestions about mounting it on the SG? My thoughts are sewing hook&loop stuff on the cloth and just wraping around the camera body. Is there a better way?

Any other suggestions are welcome...

Thanks
Rich...
hmartin@tns.net

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
The September/October 2000 issue of View Camera has a great article: How to Make a Darkcloth. Back issues can be bought on the View camera web site. (www.viewcamera.com)
Harry
Les

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it's raining, rubber side out.

When its sunny, the rubber will help hold onto the camera a bit. (you'll sweat either way)

I'm not at fan of attaching the dark cloth to the camera, as it can become a sail in the wind and move if not topple the camera.

Granted most of the time I just use my jacket,

I just pull the tails over my head and onto the camera.

They do make a two sided dark cloth, the white side should go out to reflect the sun, but I invariably get it wrong. It still works.

One of the "improved" darkcloths that I like is sort of large tube that you put your head in, when you want to see you just pull it up to the camera, when not in use in hangs around your neck. Yes it'll be warm in the Desert but there's no corners to grasp and nothing to slide off the camera.
RichS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just subscribed, a year too late I guess

But thanks, as soon as my first mag arrives, I'll look into ordering some of their back issues.
RichS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, so I was amost right. I thought the rubber side out would make for a good rain protector for the camera.

I guess I'll just have to try it, and use it, and figure out how I like to use it?

I've heard of the 'sail' affect. That's a bit scary as we can get some pretty good gusts around here. And now I've just thought of sewing elastic to one end to make a sort of tube out of it? Hmmm, more to the hobby...

I've also heard about jackets and a lot of other things people use. But since this is my first LF, I wanted to use an 'official' cloth, but didn't want to spring for the two color ones

The tube idea is a good one, but I look funny enough walking around without adding anything like that around my neck. Although it might help me hide from my wife when we're out

Thanks for the info, it all helps a lot...

Rich...
alecj

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an darkcloth made by Kodak during their last LF accessory days. It is light, black one side and gray on the other. Usually, the black goes inside to help make it more dark.

This darkcloth came with velcro strips attached. I added matching strips to both my 4x5s. Easy to attach and detach.
steve@toprinting.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2001 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FAST - CHEAP - EASY
I USE A BLACK TEE SHIRT. THE NECK OF A LX SIZE FITS EXACTLY OVER AND AROUND THE GG.
PERFECT FIT AND USE. WEAR IT LATER WHEN DRINKING BEER.

45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2001 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2005-12-24 19:28 ]
RichS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2001 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I did see the info on making a hood and it's a great idea. But... I _want_ to use a standard dark cloth. Innovation is fun, but there's also a place for tradition. Also, the "distance from the GG that you can see the best without a loup". Well, that would be a pretty long hood I do have to use a loupe. Although I've managed for years by rocking the focus back & forth in 35mm and 2 1/4 to an acceptable center, which has also worked with the SG. But the loupe has finally arrived and will be put to use.

After I'm done experimenting with the cloth, I may try the hood, and bifocals. But I'll never admit to that last part!

Thanks again...

Rich...
falconslair

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my coat and an Agfa Lupe - works fine on my Century Graphic and MPP 4x5 cameras.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: