Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ektalux Flash fire problems...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
office888

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a Kodak Ektalux flashgun with the syncro-switch and a solenoid flash cord. I recently bought batteries and attempted to work the flash. When i press the solenoid button, the solenoid trips but the flashbulb doesn't fire. I opened it up and all of the wiring appeared intact. I tried my entire bulb collection of #25, 5B, and #40 bulbs. None worked.

Any suggestions?
Micah in NC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Office,

Hey there. My Ektalux no longer works properly, either. It did when I first bought it -- only about four or five years ago -- but now doesn't.

I don't use it as a solenoid tripper, though.

I suspect there might be a open circuit in the capacitor, maybe. (Some capacitors do this as they age, and these are pushing 50 years old, if a day.)

This bad-"cap" explanation would be feasible IF the Ektalux is wired so the solenoid jack receives voltage straight from the batteries while the voltage to the bulb holder must travel throught the capacitor.

If this is the case, it would explain both our non-flashing Ektalux units.

Having never opened up my Ektalux, though, I have no idea how it's wired inside and this is pure supposition.

--Micah in NC

[ This Message was edited by: Micah in NC on 2004-03-20 10:46 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Micah in NC on 2004-03-20 10:49 ]
office888

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right. The solenoid travels an almost nearly direct route to the solenoid connector through only one of the capacitors. Judging by the way the wiring is set up, the flash goes through both. I'm a little bit frightened to switch out anything in this myself.

Anyone know of any good flash technicians I could call?
alecj

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find a copy of an old Kodak data book: "Use, Maintenance, and Repair of Professional Equipment", you'll find a section devoted to the care, problem diagnosis and maintenance of the Ektalux flash systems. It was part of the Kodak Professional Handbook.

And, if you're afraid of the Ektalux capacitors [I would be too], wait until you see the warnings in there about working on a Kodatron Studio Speedlamp!
office888

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, he managed to fix the flash but now the solenoid doesn't work. The solenoid-sync cord disentegrated. Literally, it became a fine copper powder. So now, I have a working OPEN flash. Problem two...I need an Ektalux-to-Solenoid or Ektalux-to-Shutter cord. I've been watching ebay and there seems to be a lack of anything ektalux related.
Micah in NC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Office,

Hmmm. I don't know. I wonder if Paramount company makes such a critter, or could be convinced to make them in small quantity?

http://www.paramountcords.com

I would be interested in one...

--Micah in NC

Quote:

On 2004-03-30 06:15, office888 wrote:
Well, he managed to fix the flash but now the solenoid doesn't work. The solenoid-sync cord disentegrated. Literally, it became a fine copper powder. So now, I have a working OPEN flash. Problem two...I need an Ektalux-to-Solenoid or Ektalux-to-Shutter cord. I've been watching ebay and there seems to be a lack of anything ektalux related.
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd give Paramount a call. A few years back, I needed a "Focuspot" cord, and Paramount agreed to make one if I'd send them a "Focuspot" to look at! So I did, and so they did; it worked out very well.

I don't know what kind of connectors the "Ektalux" cord uses, but if Paramount has them, I'm sure they will make the cord.
office888

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thank the added boost of 45 volts that this flash has. It's so far proven itself to be reliable. Out of forty bulbs that i've spent so far as an open flash, all of them have gone off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: