Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An RH10 with a knob wind???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graflex Sid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this possible-looking through the data I see this should be with a lever wind.This back has come up ******* here-should I be wary of purchasing without seeing?

Anyone can clue me in,please?...surely not a modification job.Shock,horror!
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-03-16 08:42, Graflex Sid wrote:
Is this possible-looking through the data I see this should be with a lever wind.This back has come up ******* here-should I be wary of purchasing without seeing?

Anyone can clue me in,please?...surely not a modification job.Shock,horror!

Um, what's supposed to be better about the late roll holders is that there is a pin roller at each end of the gate. The pin rollers are part of the housing or case or whatever you call it. You want a housing with pin rollers.

Inserts or film carriers or whatever you call 'em switch freely from housing to housing. So it is possible to get a 12 exposure carrier in a housing with a nominal 6x9 gate and so on. This can be a problem.

Ask the vendor what exactly he/she/it has. Remembers, vendors often plead ignorance, sometimes ARE ignorant. Other times they're, um, duplicitous.
Graflex Sid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello There..
My vendor,as you put it,has stated it's an RH10,knob wind,with 10 exposures.I put it to him about the pin rollers (no reply).
Without seeing it (in the flesh as it were)it sound maybe a thing to give a miss...and perhaps concentrate on purchasing a S/H RB67 back for the 2x3 crown instead...at least I know it has a lever wind.

Appreciate your help,thanks.
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they made an RH-10 in the knob wind version.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
jdman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have them both lever and knob, you cannot beat the knob for smoothness. Also I have one 23 with pin rollers, but the rest of the 22 and 23 do not have them. Would like to have RH20's with knob wind, but have never seen one. Russ
Graflex Sid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all...appreciated.You have put my mind at rest about this matter.Might purchase now!

Just going back to RH20...did you know ILFORD (B/W) are to discontinue 220 film?.Is this the slippery slope for this size?.It was a menace here for color stock to be developed by labs,always the middle frame ruined where it went around the dev spindle.
Very few Photographers in G.B.use the stuff now,preferring 120.

Greetings to all.
Les

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of clairfication.

The first generation of 120 film holders all used knob winds, none had pin rollers and there were two sizes

"Graphic 22" that was square and took 12 shot per roll
and a Graphic 23 that took 8 shots per roll. very roughly 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 or 6x9 Notice if they made a 6x7 they'd have to call it a "Graphic 22.5"

They also made these for the SLR cameras and had "Graflex 22 and Graflex 23" on the back.

A couple of years before the move to lever winds, they added the pin rollers to the holders for the 2x3 and 4x5 sized cameras, not the 3x4 because sales were less than flat.

I'm not sure when they introduced the lever winds, but suspect it was about the time of the into of the XL. This is where you get the RH-8 RH-10,RH12, RH-20 and RH-50 This had to be after '64 since that was the intro of 220 film.

I"ve never seen a 2 1/4 x 2 3/4 or 6cm x7cm holder in a knob wind before, they certainly never called it a RH-10.

Glenn, where did you find evidence of an knob wind 6x7 holder?

glennfromwy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read it in some literature somewhere. I can't remember where I saw it, but it definitely described the RH-10 in both versions. It seems there was a date/manufacturer break in the production of these, if my memory is correct. My memory is getting old, so who knows. I will try to find that information again, to clarify my post. As an aside, being an avid (rabid?) watcher of the auction site we all know and love, I have seen quite a few of the knob wind versions listed. Perhaps some were mix & match but I don't believe it's likely that all were.
I'll try to update this ---

Graflex Sid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Les,
I've purchased it...yes,LARGE knob wind,retained in silver,not painted black,and clearly marked RH10 Graflex,General Precision,in RED on the front (near hole),also has pin rollers.
Great piece of engineering.

Greetings.
clnfrd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your new acquisition, Sid. Now you can get 10 shots instead of 8 on a roll of 120...and in better proportions for 8"X10"s than with a 23. Fred.
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, Sid! I have been looking at my various reference material and have come to realize that all of my literature is too old to apply to this mystery. That means I must have run across my information on some obscure web site or maybe I was having a senior moment. I seem to remember that the knob wind version WAS made during the reign of General Precision. The information I read on these was very detailed and included all models of the roll holders. My senior moments just aren't that detailed. I'll keep searching and hopefully it can be found again. I love researching this stuff anyway.

45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The repair manual for the RH20(lever) and the service bulitens(I have) suggest all RH series roll film holders are the same except for the gear tooth count on the wind mechinism. Check the spacing between frames, if uneven, disassemble, clean, and relube the winding gear train.

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2004-03-18 19:30 ]
Graflex Sid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,LARGE knob wind RH10 works perfect-correct spacing as well..worth it's weight in gold!...so do the pin rollers as an after thought.If you come across one,treat yourself.
Sid.
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sid, I actually prefer the knob wind holders. When set up on a tripod in the field, the knob winders can be used without having to worry about the camera jiggling out of position.
Enjoy ----

glennfromwy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an RH-8 knob wind on the auction site right now. Closes in a couple of hours.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: