Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electronic Flash

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip LeBlanc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I should be posting this message in the "Flash" section of the forum, but it appears that the only info posted there is related to original Graflex flash equipment. I want a powerful, modern electronic flash to attach to the camera. Are there any flashes made that take advantage of the original flash mounts on side the body? Can I install some type of hot shoe to use my Minolta Maxxum AF4000 flash (I used a shoe with a pc cable and this flash)? I made few pleasing pictures of my cat with the camera on a tripod and my holding the flash in my hand. BTW- the 545i Polaroid back and the 4 X 5 film is awesome! Haven't tried the Type 55 P/N yet, but looking forward to using it. Shot some color type 59 and love the results. Thanks in advance for your help.

Philip

[ This Message was edited by: Philip LeBlanc on 2001-08-09 18:45 ]
Les

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that you've used a Minolta flash tells me your lens has X sync capability. That's one hurdle down.

That depends on what you mean by "big flash" Both the top of the line Sunpack and Metz potato mashers have platforms that could screw to the bottom of the camera (tripod socket) and be used next to the rangefinder, but not exacly using the bracket. The Sunpack MIGHT be able to have the proper clips put on, but the Metz handle isn't round so you'd be stuck with the platform there.

Back in the 50s/60s when flash was just getting started, it was common to take the reflector off of a Graflite put a rubber cap with a 1/4 20 screw in it over the top of the Graflite and mount the flash head there (the battery pack still went over your shoulder)

The Norman 200C and 400B still use heads that have a 1/4-20 screw in the bottom, so they could be used like the old flash units. All of thse are BIG FLASH guns with guide numbers of over 200, still about 2/3 of a 5B flash bulb

As for the smaller flash, like your Minolta, or Vivitar 283/385, somebody makes, and most better photo stores carry a shot shoe to PC cord adapter. You could mount this to the top or side of the camera and plug the PC cord into your shutter.
LelandRay

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Phil, I have a Sunpak 622 that I hook up to my Speed Graphic using the standard flash bracket (attaches to the bottom tripod socket). I'd thought about using a set of Graflex clamps so the Sunpak could be snapped onto the mount already there, but to do so I'd quite probably have to remove the regular Sunpak bracket from the flash handle, and it's something of a pain to mess with. The system I have now works just fine, and setup takes about, oh, ten seconds. An inexpensive flash bracket would do pretty much the same thing, but you could mount just about any shoe mount flash you wanted.

I'm asleep at the computer again, since I have no idea what I just typed.

tripacer150

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have mounted a hotshoe on the top of the graflex flash cylinder and wired it into the
shutter terminal works great.
hmartin@tns.net

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a rubber cap on my Graflite base, like Les mentioned above, except it has a shoe attached to it. Then just a short pc cord is all that's needed. It works great!
RichS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2001 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-10-11 01:19, hmartin@tns.net wrote:
I use a rubber cap on my Graflite base, like Les mentioned above, except it has a shoe attached to it. Then just a short pc cord is all that's needed. It works great!

I am looking into doing this and have orderd a spare bulb flash handle just for the task.
But could someone explain exactly what "rubber cap" is used? Is this a special accessory item that can be purchased somplace, or home made out of a rubber cork or something?

Thanks...
jdman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2001 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I mounted my Vivitar 2800, I had a rubber cap off of an old Stroboflash, which for some reason was on the bottom of the tube. I screw and glued a accessory mount off an old junker 35mm and mounted the flash using a pc cord for the sync. The tubes on the stroboflash are the same size as a Graflex flash tube and also the clamps fit too.Russ
alecj

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2001 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, the "rubber cap" you asked about was called a battery case adapter. It came in both rubber or metal [I like the latter]. You simply remove the reflector assembly on the top of the battery case and slide this over the top. The metal adapter has a screw to tighten it onto the case.

An alternative: Lumedyne used to make the same thing for their system. Don't know if they still do. Worth a querry. Also, another source to look for. Good luck!

RichS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2001 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I have some ideas now and specific products to search for. I'll make a few phone calls to see if some stores (like Midwest) can help, but if not I can certainly fabricate something until I can find the real thing.

What could be better in life than the mix of photography & gadgets, plus taking old stuff and brining back to a useful life?

Thanks again...

Rich...
RichS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd post an update in case anyone was interested.

I've called everyone I could find that may carry this adapter. No luck. Half of them thought I was crazy and never heard of it. The other half basically said "good luck"...

So I'm working on making one. I've got a PVC pipe end that's just about the right size. And my wife is out to get a 1 1/2 inch walking cane rubber tip. If she can get the size, it will be perfect. Then a hole, 1/4-20 bolt & nut plus shoe and I'm done.

I'll keep an eye open for the real adapter, but I'm not going to hold my breath...

Thanks again to all...
Les

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get a chance, look up Feldman's camera in Wyandotte, MI I don't have the phone number handy, and being in a time warp he doesn't have email ( He's got NOS solenoid cords for Graflex and HEiland hangin on the pegboard)

I just bought an official Honeywell dummy tube with the battery case adapter cap from him for $10. It's nothing more than what you described only it's all black and a bit thinner in wall thickness. It also had an advantage of hiding the coiled sync cord inside the hollow tube, so it's out of the way but still there when you want to do that statue of Liberty shot.

[ This Message was edited by: Les on 2001-10-23 14:40 ]
RichS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2001 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-10-23 14:37, Les wrote:
If you get a chance, look up Feldman's camera in Wyandotte, MI I don't have the phone number handy, and being in a time warp he doesn't have email ( He's got NOS solenoid cords for Graflex and HEiland hangin on the pegboard)

I just bought an official Honeywell dummy tube with the battery case adapter cap from him for $10. It's nothing more than what you described only it's all black and a bit thinner in wall thickness. It also had an advantage of hiding the coiled sync cord inside the hollow tube, so it's out of the way but still there when you want to do that statue of Liberty shot.

[ This Message was edited by: Les on 2001-10-23 14:40 ]

Thanks! I'll look into it tomorrow. Deffinitely worth a phone call and there's still a few accessories I wouldn't mind picking up.

I did get the quick 'adapter' made out of the PVC end cap. Just had to file a groove in the threads to allow the small screw head on the flash to get in. Sits pretty solid as is, but I'll be drilling & tapping a hole tomorrow for a thumb screw to hold it tight just in case. One of those hot shoe adapters (with the pc cord attached) & a 1/4-20 bolt was all it took. So I'm functional (so to speak), but that's just not the same as having the real thing

I'll let you know if I get my hands on one...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: