Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pictures with a Speed Graphic!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graflex Sid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is interested in Preservation Railways,perhaps they might like to see my pictures taken with a Pacemaker Speed Graphic 2x3 with a roll film back,Optar lens,and using b/w film.

The first 3 pictures (circa 1950) are not a Graphic,but another glass plate camera,the rest are.

As I've mentioned before,people on the platform here in London don't know whether to look at the Graphic or the engines,both a delight to the eye.

http://www.watercressline.co.uk/horacew.htm
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! Thanks for sharing. This is an interesting site that I will visit often. I love steam power.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
primus96

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the pictures of 'Bodmin' at Waterloo.
The long curve of the trains length & that of the station canopy. Very nice composition Sid.
It is a greater challennge to try & eliminate modern day intrusions with this 'old time' subject.
The rear 3/4 shot of 'Bodmin' is better because the modern signal gantry is silhouetted by the sky.
Its difficult to avoid people walking into the shot. However it looks as if the guy with the grey hair is talking to the driver of the locomotive.

The preserved railways are rich sources of subject matter.
My 'Crown & a stash of film will be having a trip to the N. Yorkshire Moors Rly in June so i'm praying for good weather already.
Graflex Sid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,thank you all...what I try to do is avoid 'empty'pictures,I like people around making the photograph more interesting:Steam engines are to be admired so a crowd usually gathers before it sets off on it's journey.
If this happens,Im as happy as a sandboy-the Graphic is ideal for this,either eye level or just holding it above the head and slightly pointing it down.

Does'nt matter which size the Graphic,things can be cropped either in the darkroom or Computer.

If you look at O.Winston Link's railroad photographs of the 1950's,most of the pictures had people standing/sitting around in his pictures.It's the human being up again the machine.

I never would attempt a picture of a engine going through open country just by itself.I can buy that on a postcard.

I like people somewhere in the photograph..I've tried doing steam pictures in Color,it does'nt work as well as Black/White.

Best Wishes to all..
Horace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: