Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can someone help me identify my camera?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have what appears to be a very old Graflex, though I'm not certain of the model. There are patent dates all over the thing. Inside the lens cover it says "Auto Graflex" then "Patented" and under that the dates Dec. 16 '02, Jun. 21 '04, Feb. 15 '07, Apr. 21 '08, and Aug. 31 '09. The rim of the lens says: 5 X 7 Bausch - Lomb TESSAR Series 1c Pat. Feb. 24, 1903 No. 2853531. I also have the camera's leather case.

Any help in identifying the camera would be greatly appreciated.

Syd
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it says Auto Graflex then that is what it is. They were manifactured from '06 to'23. To confirm: Is the back stationary? What is the format(film size)? Is the view hood door hinged on the front or rear? If hinged on the front, is the hood an accordion type?
The serial number will be on the lip of the view hood opening, close to the lid latch?
Please describe the front standard assembly also.
Chalres

Syd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The view hood door opens up toward the back and it opens a tri-fold accordian type hood. Try as I might I don't see a serial number near the hood door. I'm not certain I know what you mean by "hinged on the back or on the front" though.

The back appears to me to be stationary. There's a strip of metal that runs horizontally across the top of the back and it moves, but I don't know its purpose. It just doesn't seem to me to be part of any mechanism that would rotate. It's probably just what latches the film holder in place.

Inside the film holder lid it says "5 x 4 Graflex Roll Holder 1915 Model Takes No. 53 Eastman Graflex Film" and then the company's address and the patent dates July 2, 1901 and June 20, 1916.

I don't know what the "front standard assembly" is. I'm a lot of help, aren't I.

Is it possible for me to post pictures? What I know about cameras wouldn't fill an f stop.

Syd
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, reading the Instruction Manual for Graflex cameras available under the technical information heading on the home page. Although not exact, all the old slr graflex cameras are very simular.
The front standard is where the lens and lens board attach to the camera.
The serial number will be embossed into the wood top behind the view hood or into the lip of the camera body where the view hood door rest when closed. It will be hard to see, look at angles to the camera with contrast enhansing light.
The slide bar on the back is used to lock the film holder or roll film holder to the camera. If you can find some early Graflex film holders you can load curent 4x5 film and use the camera if all else is good.
The view hood if hinged on the end that faces the lens as you hold it to compose a picture it is the front, if hinged on the same side as the film holders it is the rear.
Hinged rear appeared in 1916.
Charles

Syd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see if this works. (Note: I will no longer be using this hosting site after 1/23, so if the pictures disappear on that date, that's why):

If it doesn't work, sorry.
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good looking camera. Its the rear hinge design introduced in 1916 and continued production until 1923 when it was repalced by the model B, according to the history book.
There is not much that can go wrong with one of these type cameras. The manual mentioned before will tell you everything about operation you'll need.
Do not try to clean off the dark color from the shutter knobs and plates, its a thin silver plate and will come off with even the mildest of metal polishes.
On the shutter wind knob assembly is a wheel with an O and I stamped on it. Turn it until the small bearing is in the hole next to the I (for instantaneous), mirror cock lever may have to be held between locked and released to do it. Once wheel is at I, pull down on mirror lever until it locks in the down position. Now the top knob that changes the curtain aperture opening should turn and wind the curtain. The knob on the lower plate sets the tension. The plate on the view hood tells what speed is achieved with each tensiln and curtain slot.
A little cleaning and lube may be all it needs.
Chalres

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: