Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Optical VF masks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Graflex.org Site Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your very interesting and useful page that relates the "Graphic" finder masks, by number, to lens focal length ranges for various film sizes has a few typographical errors and omissions.

I have lucked into a small, faded chart, evidently extracted or copied from some Graflex publication four decades or so agone, that seems to be of rather later date than the source material for yours. I think so because it includes the 120 rollfilm 2-1/4x2-3/4 format offered on some late-model "Rapid-Vance" backs, as well as data on the "wide angle adapter" -- which I had thought to be an aftermarket design from Midwest Photo Exchange and/or Fred Lustig.

In general, the chart agrees very well with your listing, and it fills in the missing information. Some of the FL ranges are slightly different, by one millimeter at each end (and it would be fun to know why).

While the condition of my original seems to preclude scanning or copying it (I might try photographing it through a red filter), it is legible, and I have transcribed it for my own use.

I'd be glad to send it along, if you would like to disseminate it to other "Graphic" users. If you would, please tell me what file organization will be most convenient for you: Microsoft "Word for Windows" .DOC, Adobe .PDF, or Rich Text Format (it uses tabulation that won't be retained in a raw ASCII .TXT file).
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Repair manual, no date)
Section 102
Optical Viewfinder
Graflex/General Precision
Graflex, Inc./A Subsidary of General Precision Equipement Coporation
Rodchester, New York, U.S.A. 14603
Contact me via the PM feature for a copy or just the Mask Selection Chart.
Charles

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2003-11-20 18:45 ]
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted data in re: the mask catalog numbers for different focal length lenses (image size 2-1/4 x 2-3/4) a while back. The info was taken directly off a Graflex RH/20 roll film holder guidebook dating from 8/65. You might do a search here and find my post. I can post it again if need be.

Henry
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry,

I'm glad to know that someone else has grappled with Graflex's listings of recommended finder masks! In fact, I have two such listings, one the faded clipping I mentioned, and the other (with normal, long and telephoto lens focal lengths given in inches) from a reprinted "Pacemaker" manual.

My concern is that the useful page on this site that reproduces one of those charts contains several typographical errors. I think it would be worthwhile to edit it, and perhaps to add information on the Wide Angle Adapter and the 2-1/4x2-3/4 format. I'm prepared to assist in this effort.

Yours truly,

Timothy R. Sanford

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm home again after Turkey Day out of town and will try to post the chart. When I tried this a week ago the "submit" button was dead but now it seems to work so here goes:

from "Rapid-Vance RH/20 Roll Film Holder Guidebook," Form No. 1804/865 [Aug. 1965?]:

Mask Selection Chart for various film sizes (not camera sizes):

Mask Catalog Number for 2-1/4 x 2-3/4 picture size (focal length of lenses in millimeters):

#9105-4 70-84mm
9105-3 86-90
9105-2 92-101
9105-9 103-125
9105-10 127-138
9105-11 140-162
9105-8 164-191
9105-7 192-227
9105-6 229-267
9105-5 268-305
3060 W.A. 47-69
Adapter
Henry

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Anonymous" is me. Forgot to type in my name and password.

Henry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Graflex.org Site Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: