Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Meggaflash PF200

View previous topic :: View next topic  
primus96

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not 100% sure but it seems as if the Meggaflash PF200 bulb will fit the 7" reflector's socket.
However as it is larger the bulb wont be placed at the ideal point. It seems as if there will be a good bit of light directed downwards.

Has anybody tried these bulbs?
I have seen they are clear and clearly intended for B&W or tungsten balanced colour stock.
Graflite

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

primus96:

I have not used the Meggaflash bulbs yet, but have used the GE #11, GE #22 and the Press 40 bulbs when they were more plentiful in the past.

The Meggaflash bulbs have a #102 medium screw base which is the same base as a common household bulb and will work in both the older "shiny chrome" 3 D-cell battery case and the newer "dull aluminum" 3-D cell Graflite battery case (#2773).

The 7 inch (#2747) "shallow pan style" reflector has a bracket on the back with a knurled knob that will position the bulb center in the center of the reflector pan and has an adjustment range of just over 4 centimeters (or roughly 1.75 inches).

The clear bulbs, as you noted are for Black & White and color tungsten work, but years ago I remember a blue tinted lacquer (?) that could be used to coat clear bulbs, but then as now it seemed to be a lot of trouble.

Short of tinting a bulb blue I remember a blue tinted cover that could be placed over the reflector so that clear bulbs could be used for daylight films.

I was thinking nowadays along the lines of a plastic food cover called Saran "Quick Covers" that is tinted blue and would serve a dual purpose of possibly preventing an accident should the bulb explode.

Hopefully this info will assist you with your use of the Meggaflash bulbs.

graflite
primus96

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering about the centering question.
All I need to know is if Meggaflash will demand a huge minimum order quantity.
So if you have a Graflite or even a Kalart flashgun how can you remove a spent bulb rapidly?
I'm thinking of if I am shooting a big scene needing multiple flashes, from different places.
Should I buy a welders glove to unscrew the hot, spent bulbs?
Les

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Graflite, there's an ejection button.

If you're doing a set up with flashbulbs stationed at different places then you'll need assistants to replace the bulbs quickly, No need for welder's gloves, any light weight cotton glove will to just don't but a death grip on it.

I talked with Meggaflash several years back. At the time they didn't have a minimum order but shipping will put a dent in the budget big time.
The way to get the cheapest price was to have several people order together and have them ship a container (as in ship's container) over. Never found that many people willing to chip in a couple of hundred dollars for flash bulbs.

les
Micah in NC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I just found this thread (I usually just check the S.G. board).

I contacted Meggaflash earlier this year and they sent over a nice, shiny brochure packet and price list. As Les said, the shipping isn't cheap, and neither are the bulbs. I was very disappointed to find they are so expensive, but, hey, when you're the only source, you can charge about as much as you want...

Anyway, I'll try to find that literature and post the prices they quoted me. I'd be interested in going in together with other folks in a group order, perhaps.

I think the minimum order was one case of 48 bulbs or something close to that, to the tune of $300!

--Micah in NC

[ This Message was edited by: Micah in NC on 2003-12-16 14:10 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: